Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Speed Decreases Randomly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 loginome

loginome

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

Thought id throw this out to anyone that might have an answer. My internet connection speed lately has been a little strange. It will connect at 28kbps at times, then when its connected at 48kps will suddenly slow down to 28kbps. IT will literally shift from 48 to 28 in an instant. I scanned it for spyware, viruses, etc, constantly and nothing is showing up. I had a netstat monitor on it and couldnt find any type of program that would be hijacking the connection. My last guess is that its simply bad wires in the house, however, the wires had just been replaced a year ago for the same problem...any ideas?

Edited by loginome, 24 April 2007 - 07:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

noise on the phone line could cause this

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

Sure sounds like corrosion on the wire ends. The cure for this is to find all the connections from the house wall on in, disconnect them, clean the ends (bare copper wire) using a red rubber eraser or emery cloth, and then reconnect them.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users