Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With A Few Problems

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lawrancec

lawrancec

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

Background Info:
Emachines T6524
Athlon 64 3500+
1 GB RAM
Windows Xp Media Center Edition 2005

Problem:
Hi guys. After a virus/spyware infection my computer has been “screwy”. I’m sorry that this does not describe much but I cannot really pinpoint any real problems, except from some. One of these and the most annoying are not being able to access my home network. I set up my home network using the Home Network Set Up Wizard that came with XP. Everything is fine, until now. I can see the other computers and printers in my “Network Connection” and “Printers” page but whenever I try to access them (or print); I get a message that said it is not accessible. The same thing goes when I try to access this computer from another computer. I tried resetting my router but that did not help. I know there are many reasons that could cause this, but I did not change any network settings and this occurred. Any ideas?

My other problem is with my toolbar. Sometimes (seems to be determined randomly) by toolbar will not work. I can see my toolbar and the icons are still animated in the system tray area, BUT it does not respond. For example, I cannot click the “start” button or switch applications by clicking on the toolbar. I can still run programs and the computer still works but the toolbar does not respond. Again, this is periodic and sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t.

I’m very sorry for the extremely long paragraphs and any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks. If I was unclear please ask. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Lawrance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

Do you have a software firewall might want to see if your internal network is banned on the computer you are trying to connect with along with the one you are trying to connect to.

#3 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

I do have ZoneAlarm (a FW) installed but I have allowed file sharing and entered my network IP into the ignore list. Is that enough? Thanks

Lawrance

#4 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:46 AM

Make sure you have disabled Windows Firewall,
having 2 firewalls could be bad

IF you can click
>START

>Run

then type> services.msc

In the NAME list Double click>Windows Firewall/ Internet connection sharing (ICS)

In "Startup Type" select Disable

Click > Apply

then click STOP

Then Close everything
you done.

Aslo
I don't know a lot about ZoneAlarm but it should have some sort
of Stelath mode. Disable it. Stealth mode will not let windows sharing
to work, and sometimes when you get a virus it turns on.

I hate to say but I would reinstall windows, If you have Windows Xp
you can select a Repair, and keep all your files.

Edited by emucade, 24 April 2007 - 01:48 AM.

" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#5 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

Thanks, the windows firewall was activated but after stopping it, I still cannot connect to my other computers. I have also consider reformatting but I cannot due to the following error:

Stop:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registy cannot load the hive (file)
\Systemroot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not rewritable

Thanks,
Lawrance

#6 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

anyone? sorry =(

#7 BrewCru

BrewCru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:06 AM

After disabling Win Firewall, have you restarted? also I have had problems with this... so I will say, go to start - control panel - windows firewall - click on the advanced tab and if any of your network adapter are checked in those boxes, uncheck them... I have had this happen after running the Wizard... and having those boxes check kept me from seeing my network.... after that, turn off all your computers on your network and once they are all powered off, turn them on and see if you can connect to any of them on your network.

#8 BrewCru

BrewCru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

Also, on the system you are having problems with and one other working machine on your network, run a command prompt, type "ipconfig/all" write down the ip address and subnet mask, the ip addresses need to be individual but they should have the same starting ## (ex. 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is the individual number for each system. the subnet mask should be the same on both machines. once you have that info. type "ping (the ip address of the oposite machine you are on.) (ex. - ping 192.168.1.1) hope this helps and hope its clear enough.

#9 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

Thanks, I'll give this a try and let you know.

Lawrance

#10 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

I have tried all you have asked me. The ip addresses are good, the only thing different is that one computer has the NetBios disabled and their physical addresses are different but I don't think that matters. The computers can successfully ping each other and I can still see the computer in the "My Network Places" tab in the start menu, but when I try to click into a folder to access another computer, I get that error message.

Lawrance

#11 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:14 AM

Try enabling NetBIOS on the PC that has it disabled you should then be able to access the shared folder.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x218

Basically what it says is that there's something seriously wrong with your system. You mentioned that you couldn't reformat due to this error - did it occur when you tried to reformat? Please give a few more specifics about what happened so that we can sort through the possiblities in the error message.

Here's the most likely reasons for this error:
1) bad hard drive
2) corrupt hard drive
3) corrupt file system on the hard drive
4) corrupt registry
5) corrupt memory (RAM or other memory)
6) other malfunctioning hardware

For starters, I'd suggest running a hard drive diagnostic utility (usually free from the manufacturer of your hard drive). I'd also suggest running this free program to test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/ Follow the directions exactly and let it run for 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better).

Edited by usasma, 30 April 2007 - 06:25 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will explain my problem the best I can. I get the following Stop:c0000218 error message when I try to reformat. What I mean is that after the computer boots from the CD and begins the recovery (all I have is a recovery CD, not windows XP CD), a loading screen appears then I get the blue screen with the error message. I will start by listing the things I have done.

Done:
Ran a hard dive diagnostic from manufacturer - PASS

Not Done:
Have not enabled NetBIOS
Have not tested memory

The funny thing is when I do a scan with Nod32, I get a message telling me that sectors 4 and something else of the harddrive is corrupt but the HD diagnostics always come out fine. I will try to do those 2 things as soon as I can. I dont know if this information is relevent, but any CDs I put into the computer cannot auto run and bascially cannot be used because the computer lags up and freezes until I remove the CD from the drive. Additionally, my computer will also lag up and freeze whenever I try to open anything from WinRar when I have ZoneAlarm running. I do not get this problem if ZoneAlarm is off. Thanks!

Lawrance

Edited by lawrancec, 30 April 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:04 AM

The hard drive diagnostics are primarily (but not solely) concerned with the drive itself - the file system is of secondary importance to it.

I would suggest using a utility from the hard drive manufacturer to low-level format the hard drive, then re-partition it and reformat it to the NTFS file system. Then run the Restore CD. This should remove any problems with the "sectors" being corrupt.

I personally do not like Zone Alarm - IMO it's too bulky and unwieldy (sorta like Norton Internet Security). Just too many problems getting it to work properly on systems. Their lackluster tech support (I've also used the paid version of ZA) further turned me off. Finally, the True Vector service has problems which caused me to stop using it in the early 2000's, now I'm seeing some reports of similar errors with more recent versions. I'd stay away from it and would use something like Sygate Personal Firewall (last freeware version) or the Kerio Personal Firewall.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I have the time since it should remove all problems with my computer. However, I would like to know where I can find information on how to repartition and reformat my HD to NTFS. Thanks. Last thing, does low-level formatting remove any data stored on the HD or does it only set up the sectors?

-lawrance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users