Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Noes!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

...i scratched my XP Home install CD =| me and my friend snuck my laptop in the bathroom had it plugged in and were installing XP...and the light busted out cuz of the power surge tho the laptop was still on...the partition was formatting when i rippedout the plug..and when itook the cd there was a perfect circular scratch in the middle..which wasnt there before..the partition..surprisingly was fine...but one file...symc810.sys is corrupted and wnt instal witout it..and thats the oly file..an y ideas?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 24 April 2007 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Contact the maker of the computer and see if you can obtain a relacement disk. I have had Dell, HP, Sony, and Gateway send disks for the cost of FedX overnight shipping.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

sadly i dont think i can because A) warranty has expired, B ) its got extra files on it cause it came installed on the computer with some crazy dell stuff :S and C) my parents will KILL me if they know that i broke it and i dont think im old enough to pay the guy myself nor sign for it :S

I have something called BartPE...and it seems to actually build an install disk with my own i386...but it has a few errors tho but i can probably work them out...would that work?

Edited by moomoo, 28 April 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

sadly i dont think i can because A) warranty has expired, B ) its got extra files on it cause it came installed on the computer with some crazy dell stuff :S and C) my parents will KILL me if they know that i broke it and i dont think im old enough to pay the guy myself nor sign for it :S

I have something called BartPE...and it seems to actually build an install disk with my own i386...but it has a few errors tho but i can probably work them out...would that work?

Hmm...
A) Warranty does not matter. They will send you XP restore disk regardless of how long you have own the computer, as long as XP came with the computer.

B) The extra files will come with the recovery disk.

C) Yes, death is a problem. Tell them that Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP and it would be best to pay $25 now rather than $150 later for a non Dell version. This is true, they will eventually stop supporting XP, and you need the disks whether you use them now or not.

You can try BartPE. It won't hurt, but I do not believe it will solve your problem. You can use BartPE to burn your data to CD to reduce the lose of data.

EDIT: Disable smiles.

Edited by acklan, 28 April 2007 - 05:23 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hmm great idea acklan! =D ill try it when...well my dads out hes the scary one...hes also not very tech savvy. If BartPE would work right i think id get it working. I also tried burning all the files from my dell disk to a blank cd and replacing the file with one in my operating system, but the cd totally skips the "press any key to boot from CD" screen and just loads my operating system. Ill try to get my parents to get me a new one with what you said and ill start working on bartpe a little more.

Thanks a million :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users