Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphic Card Not Working At All.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hi peoples,

I just bought a new graphic card from newegg, my first purchase from them.

It's a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 PRO Atlantis 256MB AGP 4x/8x

I put it in, after pulling out my old ATI card, I put it in (with some new ram too, but it's acting up to, so I took it out) and I booted it up, and it made all kindas of beeps after a while, but not the one beep signaling it booted up normally.

I haven't uninstalled the original driver, So that might be the problem. I'll update with a edit telling if it worked or not.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

Sorry about the bump, but I counted the beeps, theres 2, then theres 8, then 2 again, then 1.

It's an AMI Bios too.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

No problem. remove the card, uninstall the original drivers, making the computer is set to run VGA standard drivers,

then you can re install the card, insuring that it is seated correctly. when you re start, make sure the bios is not setup to used onboard video, if there is a chip on the mainboard. Once the machine starts, cancel out of windows automatic detection and run the manufacturers disk to install the drivers. Once you know the card operates properly, download the latest drivers from ATI and install those.

Let us know the results, please.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

Alright, that sounds like it would work... except......... now the original card is not working properly..... I don't know why! I think it might have to do with the fact I was pulling out, and putting in so many times, I might have damaged it.

So, now I must find some cheap card along the likes of the original, so I can install the new one... The original one was an ATI RAGE 3D, not very expensive at all now. But the weird thing is, the computer will not beep at all anymore with the broken old card, it started the disks, and fans and stuff, but it wouldn't make the one beep that tells all systems are go.

Lol, what a day.
EDIT:
Is there a possibility I might be able to take out the Hard drive, and put it into another computer, and install the driver then? I've got this old Compaq 5012us with an Intel P3 and an on board Intel graphics port, with Windows Me on it, I'm not sure I can install drivers with the slave/master configuration. but what if I just took out the power, and the IDE ribben and put it into the hard disk, boot it up, and uninstall the old driver?

Thanks a lot,

JoshT

Edited by JoshT, 23 April 2007 - 09:48 PM.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Whoa!

I'd suggest you slow down.

You say you've replaced both RAM and the video card.

Make sure the old RAM is seated properly. Remove and re-install again.

Same with the original video card.

Check other cables and cards too, to make sure you haven't accidentally loosened something.

Assuming it then boots up, only change the RAM and see if you can get it to boot.

Then, again assuming it's OK, change out the video card.

Let us know how this goes, OK?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Alright, I checked everything and everything is in its place, BUT on the AGP slot, on the bottom right corner, it is cracked, yes yes, it's my fault I believe. It looks like a few gold reading pins might be damaged as well.

I believe that is the problem, if so, I might have to switch out the mobos, and if thats the case, I need to find a new pentium 4. Lol.

Edited by JoshT, 24 April 2007 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

If you do end up replacing the Mobo I just recently used a Biostar P4M80M4 as a replacement in a customers machine it works flawlessly. It supports up too 800 FSB, 2gig of DDR400 and AGP 8x. you can find one for 50 bucks
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

If you do end up replacing the Mobo I just recently used a Biostar P4M80M4 as a replacement in a customers machine it works flawlessly. It supports up too 800 FSB, 2gig of DDR400 and AGP 8x. you can find one for 50 bucks

Thanks anyways, but I've got a spare motherboard, and I just need to find a Pentium 4 Socket 478, that'll work with a 400Mhz FSB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users