Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Good System To Run With This Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ramoris

Ramoris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

I am currently in the prosses of updateing a computer almost completely. Being young I don't have too much money to do so and I found a good GeForce 7900 card for a great price. I want to buy the card but I know my old system will Bottleneck the card and virtualy make the investment worthless. I know its like completely updateing the whole computer but thats basicly what I'm doing.

Currently I have:
AMD Sephron: 333Hz 2.0Ghz
AMD Stock Board: 333hz old junk. Regular DDR. No PCI-E x16 slots so I need a now MoBo anyway
Will need new ram anyway

I'm looking at:
AMD Dual core 4000+: Good priced AMD dual cores basicly Probably a 2.2 2.4 Ghz 1000hz for 800hz Ram
or
Core 2 Duo: A 6400 series when the price drops in June. 2.4Ghz 1000Hz for 800 hz ram
((I don't know the difference between the 2 prossesors but I'm told the Core 2 is better. More expensive but i'll wait for the price drop. Plus the core 2 mobos are expensiv-er))
A Board with 8G room and fitting to whatever prossesor I get with good rateings on Newegg.com
2G of 800hz ram. Why not

But: I'm not sure. I just want a system equal to the card. If somewhat better so I can SLI it in the future if it comes to that. Nothing bottlenecking anything. For all I know a AMD 64 $60 buck chip could be enough with a cheep fitting MoBo.

Any imput you have would be great.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

The core 2 duo's are definetly better then the amd x2's. On the other hand though the amd x2's are quite cheaper and affordable. I would say with whatever processor you go, don't really waste money on like a 200$ motherboard. My friend got an 80$ one that works with core 2 duo and its been going fine for him. Haha I know what its like being young and wanting money to build a nice computer (I'm 15 BTW :thumbsup: ).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Ramoris

Ramoris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

The core 2 duo's are definetly better then the amd x2's. On the other hand though the amd x2's are quite cheaper and affordable. I would say with whatever processor you go, don't really waste money on like a 200$ motherboard. My friend got an 80$ one that works with core 2 duo and its been going fine for him. Haha I know what its like being young and wanting money to build a nice computer (I'm 15 BTW :thumbsup: ).

I have heard there are better and I don't mind waiting for the price drop. But with the card I'm going to buy, is it nessisary. Will it make a large effect? Should I screw it and do it anyway?
(15 here too)

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Oh the AMD processor should run that card fine, so will the core 2 duo.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Ramoris

Ramoris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

Oh the AMD processor should run that card fine, so will the core 2 duo.

Ok you convinced me! ... o.o?
~
Well I know they will both run the card "Fine" but what I'm looking for is if I will even notice the difference playing games like World of Warcraft and stuff.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

Here is a nice price-performance chart with the new Core 2 Duos and Athlon X2s, with the new prices counted in.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 24 April 2007 - 08:45 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users