Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16gb Usb Mem Stick Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hi

I have a 16Gb USB 2.0 memory stick that was bought from China. It carries a Sony VAIO label although I am unsure if this is authentic.

The problem with it is that files seem to be saved onto it as normally expected, but when it comes to using the files ALREADY saved on the drive they do not work. It has been tried and tested on a number of PCs and a Mac. Text files can easily be saved and when opened in the same session, tend to work normally. But if the stick is removed and used a little later they do not. The files are still shown on the drive but when you try to open them there is usually an error saying it is wrongly formatted. If you try to convert the format as per the option given then sometimes the file appears with symbols (usually lots of little squares). I've also tried using media files in the same way but these never seem to work regardless of which session.

So this renders the stick useless. I've tried formatting it and starting from scratch but the same problem persists. I would appreciate any help I could get with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Sony has a special utility available at their web site to format their products.

here is the link to drivers and downloads.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-syste...y.com/index.php

if you cant find the product in the list, or the program will not detect the device, it is probably counterfeit
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

I looked through the list of products and I can't be sure if it is or isn't listed there - it was brought as a gift so I have no packaging and the item itself carries no markings or labels. It might be listed under Memory Stick Media but without pictures and only the model numbers to go by I can't say for certain.

I did initially try to format using the basic Windows utility which, for all intents and purposes, seem to function fully and properly with no beneficial result as I tested it as described BOTH before AND after the format.

The device may well be counterfeit, this I cannot say but it should still function - like I say to a certain extent it does. Are there any other issues that there might be? Any other potential solutions?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Wow, the only thing that I can think of is that some of the chip(s) are bad on the device.

Does anybody else have any ideas? :thumbsup:
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

If it is doing the exact same thing when using a number of different PCs, then it would appear to be a problem with the stick to me, too.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users