Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Sharing Folder On Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gnixon72

gnixon72

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have a problem with sharing.

I have windows server 2003 sbe in a domain/client configuration. I have about 7 desktop computers in this domain with all but one computer running windows xp pro and the one running windows 2000 pro.

Also the updates and service packs are current on the server and client machines.

The problem I'm having is that I have a network drive mapped to the server on about four machines so they can access a folder on the server.

Most of the times the share works, however, on many occasions for some reason the folder is no longer accessible and when I try to access that directory it says the share is no longer available.

Usually restarting the client computer does the trick and when it logs on again, the share has been restored and the application that uses that share works.

This happens on several different accounts and computers. All these accounts have admin privileges and they are allowed full access to the shared folder.

If someone can give me ideas on what I should do, it would be most helpful

Thanks

Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:28 AM

I would suspect network issues because if there is a drop in connection, even it is a sight one the mapped network drive may disconnect. Check all cables, latest drivers, do a tracert from each machine to determine how many paths it is taking to get to the server. Once you've done this, try "ping ip_address -t" from the command prompt from and to each machine that is giving you the hassles, if you're not getting a constant ttl or it is timing out then the network may need a bit of tweaking from one of your network admins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users