Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this problem, if incorrect please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

The problem I have is with trying to repair a laptop belonging to cousins of mine. I do not know the level of virus/spyware already present on the machine, however it did previously run Windows in some fashion, albeit slowly. Recently, they tried to install the software provided by Sky Broadband on a CD that was sent to them and after some error/problem the laptop doesn't seem to boot up normally anymore.

The laptop is a Gateway 7330GZ running Windows XP. When you start up the machine, the option to enter BIOS settings is present and does work. Then it displays the Windows XP logo and begins to load and then after some time goes straight to a BSOD (you never get to the desktop) which reads as follows:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, please follow the following steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or softaware is properly. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for anY Windows updates you might need.

If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or softare. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x85389A20, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have tried to boot up in the different types of safe mode and all other mode options but in each case the same result occurs. Recently now it seems that after a few minutes of operation the laptop automatically switches off for some reason. This happens while connected directly to power outlet and with the machine being relatively cool (i.e. using for a little while and laptop isnt heated up from the bottom).

While my cousins do not have any Windows boot disk for the laptop, they did make a recovery CD as advised using Windows and if you try to boot up using the CD it seems to work at first. You are offered a few options to format, to use the recovery function etc but trying to start the recovery option seems to do no good. When you select that option, the CD runs and runs with nothing on the display and then eventually the laptops automatically just shuts down again. I have not yet tried the format option and would like to avoid using that unless it is a last resort.

Any help is greatly appreciated with this scenario.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

Microsoft KB Article on Windows XP Stop error 0xED

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q297185

but to do much of anything you're going to need a bootable windows CD, not the recovery disk.

Edited by twardnw, 23 April 2007 - 11:30 AM.

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

With regards to the microsoft link you provided, with the limited knowledge I have it seems that it is likely to be the 2nd listed potential cause of the error (damaged file system) as the error code seems to match the symptom described more closely (althought not entirely accurately?). However the following solution for that problem seems to me to resemble the process I described earlier when booting from the recovery disk i.e. typing in r to repair. It follows then that this will not work.

I am currently trying to get a bootable Windows XP CD. I am assured that the laptop itself never came with one (would I be able to get the company to send me one?) and have asked to borrow a friend's. His CD is for an Acer desktop (which I assume would make no difference?) but he says he uses it to reformat his pc. would this be the right type of CD?

#4 Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

You SHOULD be able to use any XP Home CD if it is Home. But there are different versions that will work with your product key. OEM keys only work on OEM CD's and Retail CD's only take Retail Keys. There are ways around this but i say try your cd and see if it will take your cd key if it does you should be golden.

Good luck!

#5 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

OK I'll look into acquiring that and then getting it up and running. I'll repost here in a short time to let you know if I'm successful or not.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

With a STOP 0xED error, you probably should consider running a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Edited by usasma, 24 April 2007 - 04:38 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:55 AM

Should I run this hard drive diagnostic before or after trying the bootable Windows CD method? Also how would I do this as the hard drive was pre-installed by the retailer, I have no idea what make or model of hard drive it is and nor do I have any paperwork/information/CDs specifically for the hard drive?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

There are various free test utilities that will give you information about the drive and the rest of the system. Here's one that I use: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Sony and Medion (AFAIK) may hide the hard drive under the keyboard - so I use software tools for them - all others I just open up and have a look-see.

Most of the drive tests are pretty similar in nature, but different implementations of the SMART software may mean that the drive doesn't give you all the information that it can (that's why I recommend the manufacturer's utility).

I would run the test as soon as you can - as it will indicate if your hard drive is failing (which will save you a bunch of work). If you can't open the case to find out the make of the hard drive, I'd suggest Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test as it will work on most hard drives. If the drive is SATA, then I'd suggest the Seagate SeaTools.

Another (free) utility that's been recommended in other threads is HDDScan: http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.01.22-HDDScan/

Edited by usasma, 26 April 2007 - 06:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

Okay I've searched around friends and family and the only thing I could get a hold of was an Acer recovery CD which I was hoping to be a bootable Windows but I dont think it is as it gives me the same options as the Gateway recovery CD created by my cousin. I am assuming this means the only option I have left is to reformat the hard drive as this is the only other option that I have not yet tried on the recovery CDs.

Before I went to do that, I was wondering where do you normally get bootable Windows CDs from? Do they generally come with PCs or do they come with copies of Windows that have been bought separately or what? I only ask because I have had 2 desktops and a laptop pass through my doors and have never had any bootable CDs, only ever recovery disks. Someone also mentioned to me once that you can get trial versions of Windows which work for 30 days without a product key. Could something like this help? Perhaps it could be downloaded, or a similar bootable Windows could be acquired? I do have a product key for this laptop's OS so if I could get the software somehow I would be able to make progress.

I would also like to ask more information from the previous poster about hard disk scans. It seems sensible for me to test this before I go further but I need more detailed instructions on how to run this utility on the damaged laptop. I don't understand howI would run it on that laptop. Do I download and burn the file to CD and run it from there or on USB or what is the procedure?

Finally, I need a confirmation on what would happen if I did go through with the format. By this I mean selecting the 'Recover' option on the recovery disks which warns of formatting the hard drive and creating partitions. Obviously this will wipe ALL data currently carried on the hard drive, but can I rest assured Windows will be reinstalled? I would not want just an empty hard drive and then wind up needing a new copy of Windows OS.

Any help appreciated. Once again, thanks in advance.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Generally, with hard disk diagnostics, you'll download the diagnostic file as an ISO (it's an exact copy of the disk in a file). Then you'll need a program to burn the ISO image to a CD (so that it's properly laid out on the disk). Once that's done, you'll be able to boot from the CD and the test should launch automatically.

The location of the boot files on the CD is critical, that's why there's a special process to burn the ISO. If you just copy the files to a CD, the boot files won't be in the correct location - and the CD won't be bootable.

Here's a free tool that I like for burning ISO's (this is for XP): http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm

Once the burn is done, place the CD in the CD drive, turn off the laptop and reboot. When it first starts to reboot, press F10 to get at the boot menu (for Gateways). Then select the CD drive to boot from and let it do it's thing.

The impact of the format and reinstall will be affected if the hard drive is failing - that's why I suggest this test first. You can spend hours reinstalling Windows on a failing hard drive only to have it fail once again.

I can't recall if the Gateway restore disks are bootable or not - but you can use them by pressing F11 at the startup message for recovery. Then the program will demand the restore disk so it can copy files. You can get bootable Windows disks, but it'll cost you - so I'd stick with what the Gateway folks gave you.

#11 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

I have downloaded SIW and ISO Recorder as per 'usasma' instructions, however I am unable to burn an ISO image of it. I have looked at the tutorial for ISO Recorder but when I right-click the SIW file, the menu does not give the option to Copy to CD as shown in the diagrams. Please advise as to how I should do this.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

With SIW, all you've gotta do is double click on the file to run the program - it's not an ISO file, so you won't need to burn it to a CD.

The ISO Recorder is for use with a hard drive diagnostic utility that I suggested that you download. It'll come either as an ISO file, or as a ZIP file with the ISO inside of it.

#13 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

So I assume that I therefore cannot use SIW on the laptop as I cannot run that utility in any manner. Can you please clarify as to which hard drive diagnostic you thin I should download as an ISO. You have suggested a few in your previous posts.

Thanks

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Since it's a Gateway, the hard drive access is usually on the bottom of the case and is held in by a couple of small screws. The drive is 2.5" wide - so any access plate smaller than that need not be opened. Have a look at the drive and let us know the make and I can suggest a specific utility.

For generic purposes (when I'm too lazy to open the case), I use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test (DFT) available for free from here: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm It will not give you the detailed information that a manufacturer's tool will.

Occasionally I run into a laptop with a SATA drive (usually identified because the DFT won't run). Then I use SeaTools for DOS (free from here): http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

#15 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

I downloaded hitachi's dft and burned the ISO which initially seemed to work quite well (once I had guessed some of the earlier settings it had asked for) but the laptop keeps losing power EVEN while connected directly to a power outlet. Thus I cannot progress any further with diagnostics as the dft utility does not have enough time to run to completion.

I want to thank you for the help you provided thus far and finally ask if you have any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem may be with power loss and if there might be any solutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users