Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mariska

mariska

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Hello following a virus attack i've managed to clean the computer to now pretty much working order,but we have 3 different users on our comp mine.my wifesand our sons.Things appear to be normal on mine and my wifes side,but when i visit our sons side he has what i think is the dreaded blue screen of death.He has no internet connection and the text is all small and somewhat italic.
After the virus clean up itried to system restore to cure this problem but it always fails.Have u any idea what might be causing this?During the clean up many applications were used including 'Combo fix', ' Hijack this', ' Atf cleaner and AGV anti spyware program.
Iwould be very grateful for any help u can give me with this

regards
Christian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

Well, if your wife's and your profiles are OK, I'd suggest creating a new one for your son and using that. Here's an article on how to copy over the info from a corrupted profile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

I'll try that! thanks a lot

#4 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

o.k but have u any idea why i can't system restore.It fails every time.ta

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

I don't know much about System Restore - it never seems to work when I need it the most. But, in this case it may be a good thing - often the malware infection can hide in the system restore point just waiting for you to "restore" the system (and subsequently restoring the infection).

I'd suggest disabling System Restore (this will erase the infected restore points), then reboot your system, then re-enable System Restore. Then check to see if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users