Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

I was fiddling around finding where everything is in Vista after having it for about a month now.

Came across this in somewhere in control panel.

"The System Is Expriencing Excessing Paging" i click on it (displayed as a link) and took me into PHYSICAL DISK COUNTERS where there was a red highlighted over this:

Avg Disk Cue Length -- Total -- 1 (with flag beside it) -- 0.94 -- 7

i don't know what that means, hope someone can help me there.

and also came across this:

Performance:

CPU 19% low CPU load
NETWORK 0%
DISK 65/sec
MEMORY busy 80% 203mb available

i presume that means more ram needed??????

my Base score is 2.5

Processor 4.7
memory 4.5
graphics 2.5
gaming graphics 3.1
primary hard disk 5.6

I don't know what all that means either.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

This google has some interesting results ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...ing&spell=1 ) - but it appears that this is a problem caused by a program (such as a VM), rather than a Windows problem as such.

I'd suggest locating which program is causing this by monitoring the Process tab of Task Manager. You may want to enable the IO Read and IO Write columns in the View...Select Columns menu also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

on this site i found

http://www.petecullen.net/?cat=3

this:

Performance within Vista seems very good, although to begin with I found excessive paging of the hard disk. Even when left alone, there was constantly disk activity which a few forums searches revealed to be the new Search service constantly indexing. I have disabled that and Windows Defender, and performance seems to have improved. I had a similar experience with my primary test system, constant chug chug chug and disk activity until making those changes. So anyone else having that problem, give that a try.

I wonder how to disable that search indexing.......

i wanted to go back into where i got all that info in first post, but i don't know where i went as i said i was fiddling around when i found it....

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

don't know how that person turned it off, i just found in HELP where it says you can't turn it off, stupid......

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

In the Indexing Options in Control Panel (Classic View) you can adjust these settings to minimize the use of the Indexer.

I suppose you could also disable the Indexing Service using services.msc and that would prevent it from working.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

The indexing service shouldn't lead to you having 80% memory usage. There is something else using the memory.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:33 AM

in rask manager, IE uses 21mb memory, windows explorer using 10.9mb memory, and the rest aren't much at all i don't see anywhere that the memory is being used 80% apart from in where i was in which i can't remember how to get back to.

memory in total in task manager says 617mb out of my 1GB total memory.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:41 AM

foudn out where i was "Reliability and Performance Manager"

its generated another report and now says memory normal 65% usage
i'm not sure how you monitor which is using up the ram....

another 1GB ram may not be necessary but probbly won't hurt.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:58 AM

The Performance tab of Task Manager will show total memory usage
The Memory column of the Processes tab will show what's using the most memory if you click a couple of times on the header for the memory column.

FWIW - my FireFox shows 127,028 k. I've got 23 tabs open, so I figure that's about right for me.

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

i had done that and the mose was 21,000k for internet explorer,

maybe i'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens, maybe i had to many programs open as i do that sometimes.....

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:07 AM

is it bad if DVD shrink uses 80% of the CPU when ripping DVD (for back up only, i do it to all my DVDs so the original stay excellent)

it uses 121,000k memory and 65-80% CPU, in performance i see memory is 792mb.......and CPU usage ranges from 55% up to 100% this occurs with DVD shrink.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

No, it is as it should be. What it does is recourse heavy. Trying to do something else while it is doing its thing might not be pleasant.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#13 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

Indeed. Unless you have more than one core in your Processor.

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

Pentium D processor (two cores)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users