Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Have A Problem With Avg?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

I just woke my PC from stand-by a little while ago. I have an HP Pavilion desktop with XP SP2. Within a few seconds, my Comodo firewall popped up a window asking for permission to allow AVG to check for updates. I found that strange, as AVG has long had permission to update. I thought "nothing is perfect", and perhaps it was just some small "glitch". So I allowed it, and updated AVG successfully. But then I noticed something odd within the AVG windows themselves; all the text was different. Here's an example: In the Control Center window, all of the smaller "windows" (Anti-Virus, Scheduler, Resident Shield, etc.) all start with "@CC_Component_FontSize". To take the example to a more specific level, the Anti-Virus window, or blue square, if you will, now reads: "@CC_Component_FontSizeInformation about status and...". I am seeing this throughout the program, and I am also seeing "@ServiceStatus_FontSize" at the beginning of other messages/information throughout the program. It appears, to the extent of my computer abilities, to be up and running normally, other than this. Windows Security Center states that "AVG 7.5.463 is up to date and virus scanning is on.".

I have no idea as to what this all might indicate, or whether I should even be concerned, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sage46

Sage46

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

All last week went through similar deal with AVG and the comodo firewall, ends up Avg was trying to install 7.5 to update my 7.0. I would have to do manual update for some reason. After d/l update the window that pops telling me to select and start had more than one page, and I was only hi lighting the front page each time. Finally got it and all i well. Oh on the manual update had to try for over 2 hours to reach and lock with the web site, they were flooded I hear
Sage
Just an old flatland cowpoke

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, Sage. However, I am still a little confused. One thing different about your experience in comparison with mine is that, to the best of my knowledge, I have had version 7.5 for a while now. Therefore, additional comments would be appreciated.

So far I have run BitDefender and Ewido online scanners. BitDefender: clean. Ewido: tracking cookies only.

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

I just learned that the AVG installer has a repair option. I used it, and it solved my problem.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

Thanx for reporting back with that rlprlp and glad to hear that all is back to normal.
Can you explain how to access AVG's repair option? This would be helpful if a member has problems with an AVG update in the future.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

yes, we want to know all the repair details.

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

Sure. Simply download another copy of AVG, and run it. When the installer finds that you already have AVG, you will be given 3 options: Add or remove components, repair your current AVG installation, or uninstall the program you are currently using. As you can probably guess, I selected the second option. I also took the opportunity to run it a second time, this time uninstalling the e-mail scanner. I use MSN, and they already scan all of my mail for me, so I didn't need it.

I should probably say TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE I don't need the e-mail scanner. The next time I get mail with attachments, if I do or do not see the "attachments were scanned and are safe to open" notice, I will know. And I also now know how to re-install the scanner if I need to.

Edited by rlprlp, 25 April 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:39 AM

Thanx for that rlprlp. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner