Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

This problem is probably common, but the following happens on one of my computer's startup:
My programs and services load up (I do not have many running on startup). I open Windows Task Manager to see how much memory svchost.exe is taking (because it usually takes up plenty). Typically, it takes up to 120000 k of memory! Recently, however, there has been another problem; the following message appears:

The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read" .

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Any ideas? And why does svchost.exe take up so much memory?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hi nyyanks

Your problem is caused by a microsoft update issue.

You use Automatic Updates (Svchost.exe) to scan for updates or to apply updates to any applications that use Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1. Then, you experience issues when you use the following update mechanisms:
• Microsoft Update

Some of the applications that use Windows Installer include Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP, and Microsoft Windows Defender. These applications experience the following issues: • The Svchost.exe process may spike the CPU usage to 100 percent during update detection or update installation. Also, the Svchost.exe process causes the computer to stop responding for various lengths of time.
• The Svchost.exe process produces an access violation during update detection or update installation. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
SVCHOST.exe Application Error
The instruction at 0x0745F2780 referenced memory at 0x000000000 the memory could not be read.
• The Svchost.exe process leaks memory during update detection or update installation.

Here is the hotfix from Microsoft: HOTFIX

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

My other computer seems to have svchost.exe using a lot of memory and this other computer has 100% computer usage on startup for maybe a second, and then it stays around 50%, and then in a minute, it goes down to zero. There is no error message. Is this normal? If not, what should I do?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

I was checking out this thread and notived under task manager, I have SVCHOST.EXE running 5 times. First one is under LOCAL SVC and at 4.7K, second is under NETWORK SVC and at 4.8K, third is also NETWORK SVC and 3.8K and last two are under SYSTEM with one at 5.1K and the other at a whopping 24.6K. Is this normal or can I do something to eliviate them and their demand for so much memory use? THX

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

Credit to Computer Haven Copyright © 2004-2006

Mikz86TA:

“Svchost.exe” is the file name for the generic Windows process called Service Host which resides in \Windows\System32\. Since it acts as a host, it can collect multiple services together and run them in a common environment. This results in a more efficient arrangement since it reduces boot time and system overhead by eliminating the need to run dozens of separate services, each in their own memory spaces. Different groups of Windows services have different requirements in terms of system access and security, which is why separate instances of svchost.exe are needed.

nyyanks: That may be normal for your computer. My personal experience with svchost was that it will do as you describe. I found a nice tool created by Mark Russinovich - systeminternals.com - Process Explorer

BC has a tutorial on determining what services are running here: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process

I hope this helps...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#6 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

It definitely helps rigel, thanks.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users