Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Windows Without A Cd...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

Ok here is the scoop. In september I bought my laptop, an Acer Aspire 5043 and it did not come with a windows xp cd only a recovery partition...

What I would like to do know would be to reinstall windows and partition 30 gigs of my 60 gig hardrive for windows xp and the other 30 gigs would like to run Ubuntu on it... I watched a tutorial on google video on how to do this wich was pretty simple but the only problem is, I don't have a cd to install windows xp to only a 30 gig partition...

BTW for people that will say that 30 gigs isn't enough I have a 120 gig external hardrive to handle all my document and stuff...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Have you tried contacting the company you bought it from and asking for the disks?

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

They said they don't give them out anymore, that they only use the recovery partition and you have to use a program to make a disk..

But the disk is not an original disk it's just a disk that puts the computer back to factory configs which is not what I want...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

Acer has provided a means to recover the system to the state that you bought it in. If you'd like any other installation options you'll have to buy a copy of XP or make an image of your hard drive with another program.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Darn was hoping to bypass having to buy a cd... well might as well wait till I buy Vista...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:54 AM

You could always borrow a disk from a friend. The product key is not tied to the individual disk, so you could use any disk to reinstall provided you use your own product key.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:13 AM

With OEM installations the product key is tied to that make and model of computer. The product key will only work with a windows restore or recovery CD compatible with that computer. You cannot use a non-specific OEM CD or retail CD to re-install windows with that Acer COA. You will have to use a restore\recovery CD that was tailor made for that Acer Aspire 5043.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Just to further confuse things - Windows also looks for the type of CD that you have. So an OEM product key won't work with a full retail version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Darn was hoping to bypass having to buy a cd... well might as well wait till I buy Vista...

Better do some homework and make sure you can run Vista. Even computers that claim to be Vista-compatible are having problems.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

With OEM installations the product key is tied to that make and model of computer. The product key will only work with a windows restore or recovery CD compatible with that computer. You cannot use a non-specific OEM CD or retail CD to re-install windows with that Acer COA. You will have to use a restore\recovery CD that was tailor made for that Acer Aspire 5043.

I have had to use a different OEM CD, and it worked just fine when I called and explained to MS.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

Maybe it is just me. I have tried on several occasion to use a Dell and\or HP XP disk to restore select files on different computers with no success. I received error message and had to run home and either use my retail copy or generic OEM copy. I have even found this to be true using HP restore disk on different models of HP branded computers.
I cannot speak on how or what your situation was that allowed you to work around this problem, but I can tell you what Microsoft said to me after I tryed to clean install with with a legal Dell COA and a generic OEM disk. A Microsoft tech told me that the COA I was using was limited to that computer, make and model, with the restoration disks that were produced for that, make and model, computer. The tech also stated that in the future if I needed help with OEM windows I need to contact the maker of the computer for help with the OEM software.
This is personal experience and to date I have not seen this in writing from MS, but I have read posts where others have had the same experience.

#12 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

Here's a weird one, last time I reformatted my laptop, which came from Dell with OEM Home edition, on a recovery partition, I reinstalled retail XP Pro using the COA on the bottom of my computer. Had to call to activate, but it works.

Though in the past my general experience has been that OEM copies will only work with a specific motherboard/chipset.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Don't get me wrong. If you have a legal COA for widows I believe you should be able to use any windows CD, as long as it is the same level (XP home for XP Home, XP Pro for XP Pro,..). I have just not found it to be the case for me.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

My experience with windows activation: There is a manfacturers file on the cd/dvd that limits the OEM XP to that specific manfacturer, I have seen where the COA on the computer from HP/Compaq/Acer/Dell and other companies will not activate even when using the exact xp version made for that exact computer.

A Microsoft tech told me that the COA I was using was limited to that computer, make and model, with the restoration disks that were produced for that, make and model, computer. The tech also stated that in the future if I needed help with OEM windows I need to contact the maker of the computer for help with the OEM software.

Which is like pulling teeth from a crocodile.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Don't get me wrong. If you have a legal COA for widows I believe you should be able to use any windows CD, as long as it is the same level (XP home for XP Home, XP Pro for XP Pro,..). I have just not found it to be the case for me.

I think exactely the same, when I bought my computer I bought Windows Xp Home... Why can't I install it?

They are stopping me from using the software I purchased...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users