Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smithfraud Bug Variant Relating To Bsod And Bootup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 CrisGer

CrisGer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

I am a new joiner, and have problems with my XP Pro SP2 AMD 3300, it has been BSOD shutting down and the rebooting, sometimes several times, with the BSOD, so far, randomly and i can still boot up all the way to normal operation.

I did find an entry on SpyBot for Smithfrauc, and it was not removed until I had scanned several times with Spybot and finally it said it was removed.

I have other issues, including some imfections, so i am not sure if i really do have the Smithfraud bug or somone disgused an attack using that file name. So far I can still boot up but did find the link for the article posting on this bug and how to fix at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89339/problems-starting-your-computer-after-running-older-version-of-smitfraudfix/

I will not be doing the technical work, as I don't know enough to do this, and this machine and set up is my main test bed for game development and testing and has too many vaulable files for me to mess it up. But I do want to try to understand enough to tell the tech I use what I need or what I think I need. I live in a very small town in the mountains of Colorado and the options for help are limited, the fellow who built my custom system for me is now the head tech at the phone company and does not return my calls, and the next tech I tried did a quick clean with SypDoc and called it a day. My other main sissue remains, and also the BSOD shutting down thing, the BSOD screen flashes by so quickly it is hard to catch the code but it looks like a HKey or registery warning it says this computer is being shut down to prevent damage.

So I am just posting in case anyone has had a partial case of teh SmithFraud Bug but was still able to eventually boot up normally, sometiomes i have to go in to safe mode and then to the full system op.

Any comments most welcome. I am technically at just above novice level frankly even tho i work with IT and CGI design and devel from a creative level. So I will greatly appreciate any help. I have my DXDIAG and specs if useful. AMD 3300 64 bit XP SP2 2.6 ghz~, 2.5 GB RAM, 400 GB HDrive, etc etc. :thumbsup:
Game Researcher and Designer
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com//
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hi CrisGer,

As I explained here, there is no need for you to worry about the SmitFraudFix bug fix that you linked to above, as you haven't mentioned running SmitFraudFix or being unable to boot. BSOD's are a different issue and much easier to troublehoot.

Altho a BSOD is mentioned, it is not the main problem, not being able to boot into windows is. The BSOD is just the start of it, probably because most systems are set to automatically restart when there is a serious error. That is to protect the system, but in the cases of the buggy SmitFraudFix it backfired. And BTW, the setting to reboot when a BSOD occurs can be changed, and makes it easier to troubleshoot as the error message will stay onscreen til you manually resart the system. See our mini-guide here.

And FYI, other related mini-guides:

How To Find Bsod Error Messages
How To Use Event Viewer

Except for maybe disabling auto-restart, I don't suggest you try to troubleshoot the BSOD's for now. Looking at your other thread, your system is terribly infected and it is likely that they are caused by infections remaining on your system. We hope to get that taken care of in your HJT session that often clears up such BSOD's.

Spybot just found some element of a Smitfraud infection (also known as Zlob) on your system. I believe you were calling an infection a bug, whereas we were calling a fault in the program a bug. It was just a matter of leaving out a single bracket character in the code that caused that problem.

Since you have another thread on basically the same problem, I will be closing this one now.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users