Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wandering Desktop Gadgets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sixbennetts

sixbennetts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hey folks,

Brand new here. Good forum, wealth of great info.

Sidebar gadgets in Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, 2 G of RAM.

Either gadgets that came with the system, or downloaded gadgets, doesn't seem to matter.

I install them to sidebar, undock them to desktop, place them where I want them, close the sidebar.

I leave the computer for a bit, screensaver kicks in, all works fine, until...

...I come back to the computer, give the mouse a little shake to release the screensaver and get back to desktop, and my gadgets have all changed position.

They seem to move only laterally, shifting left across the screen about an inch or two, but retain their vertical position. Strange, huh?

So, I went to the great HP chat application that came with this new HP computer, and talked with them about it. We tried different variations of the View settings on desktop, Align to Grid, Auto-arrange, but no help there.

Anybody ever heard of this? This machine did this from the start, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't something downloaded.

Not a big deal, just annoying to have to drag stuff back to where it belongs every time I come back to it.

Thanks
Donny

Edited by sixbennetts, 22 April 2007 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

Click on Windows Sidebar Properties in control panel. At the very bottom of that window is a link
"How do I Customize Windows Sidebar"...click on the link. Scroll down...on the left you'll see different 'how to's'.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 sixbennetts

sixbennetts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hi Jacee,

Yup, pretty familiar with the excellent help that comes with Vista, thanks. I go there often.

I didn't see anything there a week ago when I tried to find a cure for this. Pretty much just general stuff about how it works. Nothing there about fixing this problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Donny

#4 sixbennetts

sixbennetts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

Bump.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Donny

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Well, I don't have a clue about this - but there a bunch of stuff you can try:
1) Update your video drivers to the latest certified Vista version from the manufacturer of your video chipset (most commonly nVidia, ATI, or Intel).
2) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Command Prompt as an Administrator
3) Repair Vista with the DVD (when you get to the "Install Now" screen, there should be an option in the lower left to "Repair").

Don't forget to visit Windows Update when you're done - SFC.EXE and the repair can remove some of the Windows Updates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users