Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud Bsod Error..

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I had seen a post elsewhere when I was on a different computer, but cannot find it now.

Smitfraud Fix (the utlility) has caused a BSOD error, the computer cannot boot into normal nor safe mode. The post I saw had a fix for this...can anyone guide me in the right direction.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

Here ya go: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89339/problems-starting-your-computer-after-running-older-version-of-smitfraudfix/

Unfortunately, recovery options are limited. If you have any questions at all please let us know. I'm moving this over to the appropriate forum.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

This is an absurd fix. I will not be using SmitFraud again.

I am very disappointed in this. The directions don't make much sense for someone to fix, and unfortunately I am going to have to now get the computer and work on it myself.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

I booted to Windows XP CD, installed windows in a new folder...named "WINDOWS1"...downloaded the file from the Microsoft FTP site, followed the instructions listed, and it did not boot correctly.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

OK, I've merged your thread back with this one--please stick with this thread till we can get this worked out. I'm not the best at this but will have Grinler take a look.

So after you installed XP into the Windows1 you were able to boot into the new installation and carry out those instructions? And now you can't boot into your normal installation at all? So you have not been able to carry out step 14?

The thing about people

is they change

#6 CrisGer

CrisGer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

I am very eager to learn about this too, as I had a SmithFraud entry in a SpyBot scan that took three scans to remove, and i have had the BSOD rebooting going on randomly but never completely, i.e. i can still eventually regain full normal ops, but still get the BSOD screen occasionally so I am very interested to learn about this. :thumbsup:
Game Researcher and Designer
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com//
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

CrisGer, the fix being discussed here is only for people who ran version 2.169 of the SmitFraudFix program and as a result are unable to boot into windows at all. SmitFraudFix is a removal utility. Smitfruad is a common name of a desktop hijacking malware that tries to sell rogue security applications, which SmitFraudFix is designed to remove.

If you haven't run SmitFraudFix version 2.169 and you can still boot into windows, then this fix and discussion doesn't apply to you. The bug in the removal tool has been fixed in newer versions and is safe to run.

No offense, you're just confusing what we're calling a bug, and I'll post to your other thread on this subject and explain it some more.

The thing about people

is they change

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

OK, I've merged your thread back with this one--please stick with this thread till we can get this worked out. I'm not the best at this but will have Grinler take a look.

So after you installed XP into the Windows1 you were able to boot into the new installation and carry out those instructions? And now you can't boot into your normal installation at all? So you have not been able to carry out step 14?

Actually, to be very clear...
Step 4: Full control was already selected, and there was no selection for "Everyone" as listed in step 5.
Step 8 says to boot to original Windows....did not happen. Got same BSOD after the Autochk missing error.

#9 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

I still would really appreciate some help with this. :thumbsup:

#10 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

I'm sorry to say that this is not in my area of expertise at all and probably the best thing to do is to back up important data on the PC and reformat. I would like for the fix to be easier as well, everyone involved has made every effort to make it as simple as possible and we sincerely regret the inconvenience. Just please understand that this is not a typical problem as you're dealing with NTSF file system security features that aren't very well known. As Grinler mentioned here, there aren't many tools available to deal with this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=501786

I don't have a test system to try out that fix to see where the instructions could be better or possibly incomplete or where you may have made an understandable mistake. I could be wrong, but I don't think the origianl installation would work properly even if you were able to recover it.

Best I can tell you is some research I've done indicates that installing into another folder is not recommended and so the least desirable of the three options in the fix. Even tho it is the easiest to accomplish. So you might be better off trying an install on a different hard drive or removing the affected drive and plugging it into another computer.

One thing I've thought of, and have no idea if this will work or not, is to try steps 3 thru 6 on the C:\Windows folder instead of System32.

I also want everyone to know that every effort is made to provide people with safe removal tools. But there is always risk involved in installing and removing any software, whether wanted or not. I dare say thousands of people have successfully removed Smifraud variants with SmitfraudFix with no problems. It's been the easiest to use and kept up to date. New variants of Smitfraud come out nearly every day, so it is a struggle to keep the tool updated. In such circumstances, it's amazing that such small mistakes in code that resulted in this bug haven't happened before or at least are rare.

The thing about people

is they change

#11 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

I'm sorry to say that this is not in my area of expertise at all and probably the best thing to do is to back up important data on the PC and reformat. I would like for the fix to be easier as well, everyone involved has made every effort to make it as simple as possible and we sincerely regret the inconvenience. Just please understand that this is not a typical problem as you're dealing with NTSF file system security features that aren't very well known. As Grinler mentioned here, there aren't many tools available to deal with this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=501786

I don't have a test system to try out that fix to see where the instructions could be better or possibly incomplete or where you may have made an understandable mistake. I could be wrong, but I don't think the origianl installation would work properly even if you were able to recover it.

Best I can tell you is some research I've done indicates that installing into another folder is not recommended and so the least desirable of the three options in the fix. Even tho it is the easiest to accomplish. So you might be better off trying an install on a different hard drive or removing the affected drive and plugging it into another computer.

One thing I've thought of, and have no idea if this will work or not, is to try steps 3 thru 6 on the C:\Windows folder instead of System32.

I also want everyone to know that every effort is made to provide people with safe removal tools. But there is always risk involved in installing and removing any software, whether wanted or not. I dare say thousands of people have successfully removed Smifraud variants with SmitfraudFix with no problems. It's been the easiest to use and kept up to date. New variants of Smitfraud come out nearly every day, so it is a struggle to keep the tool updated. In such circumstances, it's amazing that such small mistakes in code that resulted in this bug haven't happened before or at least are rare.

Well, I certainly do appreciate the effort. And I am sorry for getting mad at the program. I understand the risk, and it is my own fault for not doing a quick backup. I used Smitfraudfix a dozen times without any issues, and then boom. Oh well. :thumbsup: Thanks again, and maybe I will try a different way.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi, I have a fairly good understanding as to what needs to be done to get this working properly again. Give me a second to review the thread and I will get back to you.

#13 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

Any ideas Grinler?

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

Ok...so the original Windows is in C:\Windows and the new windows is in C:\Windows1 ?

Are you able to successfully boot the computer into the new Windows Installation?

#15 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

Yes, you are correct.

I was able to boot into Windows1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users