Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Ubuntu And W98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

Background: Using the free CD, I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop over a Windows OS that was badly corrupted. I was experimenting, didn't have the Windows CD, and wasn't terribly concerned if everything was lost. Surprised to discover how well Ubuntu seems to work, even tho finding and installing hardware drivers isn't much fun, and I'll probably never figure out how to make it play mp3's...but that's for later discussion.

Now I want to dual boot Ubuntu on this Compaq desktop which currently has W98SE. I have instructions on how to do this and feel fairly comfortable with the process, especially since I've backed up my important stuff and have the Compaq System Restore CD's in case something really nasty happens.

Here's my question: Assuming all goes well, I should have an opening screen at start-up which will let me boot into either W98 or Ubuntu; but if booted into Ubuntu, will I have easy access to the files contained within the W98 partition?

For example, I currently use OpenOffice with W98 and have many saved documents that I need to work with. Ubuntu comes bundled with OpenOffice, so I'm hoping that when booted into Ubuntu I can easily "grab" a document file from the W98 partition and bring it over to Ubuntu. Will it be as simple as that, or am I missing something here?

Perhaps that's why Ubuntu seems to want me to create a small (500MB) "swap" partition when I do the initial install? :thumbsup:

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

The Swap partition is an unformatted partition, that Linux can use for "Virtual Memory", similar to the Windows "Paging File".

Ubuntu will allow you to easily grab a file from the Windows 98 partition. The Windows partition should be listed in the "Computer" area of the file manager. If not, then it will be a folder in the '/disks' folder ('/' -> 'disks' -> 'windows'). It may be listed as a 'hda1' folder, or a 'windows' folder, or something similar.

Copying files back to the 98 partition is another story. Linux fully supports this for Windows 98*Grinler partitions, and has limited support for 2000/XP partitions. Yet, Ubuntu's security features seem to make this simple task more difficult.

Edited by Monster_user, 22 April 2007 - 11:14 AM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

Monster_user: Thanks for the rapid and cogent response. I'll do the deed tomorrow and will post results.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users