Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1721

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hansdam

hansdam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

Want to re-install Lavasoft Adaware, get an errormessage:

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor

The installation is aborted... What can I do?

There is a Microsoft page about this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891985 , but this trick doesn't work for me.

Edited by hansdam, 22 April 2007 - 07:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 billthebutcher

billthebutcher

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

Are you using beta?

#3 hansdam

hansdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

@ Bill: Adaware 1.06, no beta as far as I know... Downloaded via Cnet.

UPDATE: now, explorer shuts down after 3 seconds when I open the Lavasoft website...I can visit other sites.

#4 billthebutcher

billthebutcher

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

Make sure you're on the admin account. Then download an older version.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

Use the link below for downloading AdAware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

The problem you have just visiting the Lavasoft site may recur as the link is to a Lavasoft page.
Your problem may be some malware you have picked up that is not allowing you to visit that site. Suggest you run a couple of scans with the programs listed below.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

I would also recommend you remove whatever you downloaded from Cnet before attempting a new download of AdAware.

Edited by buddy215, 22 April 2007 - 10:27 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 hansdam

hansdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

I did all the tasks in SafeMode via the Admin account.
Cannot find an older Adaware version.
Deleted the Cnet download.

Lavasoft site (from buddy215, see above) was 'automatically' aborted, after a short time, same thing happened when I later visited Map24, though...

Ran Super Antispyware and Bit Defender: nothing found.

What to do next?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Did you already have Super Antispyware installed on your computer? If you had to download it, it would lead one to think that there is something wrong with AdAware download sites.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Try downloading Ad-aware from here:
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06

If that's unsuccessful, you can find older versions of Ad-aware, here:
Old Versions of Ad-aware
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 hansdam

hansdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, but this link of Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 has the same problems... Spontaneously abortion! (Abortus Bang...)

I managed to install the latest 'Old Version' of Adaware (thnx to TG1911): it doesn't work though: only a scan of 69 files..., can't update the definitions of this version.

What do I do Wrong, please?!?

#10 hansdam

hansdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:16 AM

YESSS!! Found a solution (on the Lavasoft forum): downloaded Adaware SE from Major Geeks: and it works! Nice install, good operational and update.

Donot know what the difference is....

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

Glad to hear you were able to get the problem resolved, hansdam.
I wonder why the download from MajorGeeks works, while others don't.
I don't guess it matters, as long as it works. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users