Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Cessation..and Ms Onecare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nweissma

nweissma

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

I subscribed to the 90-day trial ms onecare package.

the ms windows firewall seems to periodically, and without annunciation, shut itself off: "windows firewall service is not running."

attempts to turn it on yield, "due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display windows firewall settings"

it's set for "automatic upgrade," and automatic upgrade appears to be functioning normally. yet, in an attempt to get it running by "kicking" it, I pressed the manual upgrade button; this yielded, "Windows firewall was unable to make the requested updates."

windows firewall has been problematical since the beginning (about 5-6 weeks ago): i was on the phone with 2 ms techs for nearly 4 hours (countless reboots) to have vista's "windows security center" recognize windows firewall.

i recently downloaded, from RealNetwork Website, and installed - but never actually used - Real Player. It was not until after i installed that i read RealPlayer's eula. it says that "i agree" to have RealNetwork reconfigure my firewall, open the udp port, install cookies from different companies (Rhapsody, Mozilla, to name two), and certain other liberties (details elude me at this moment).

thinking that there may be a connection between this instant windows firewall incident and the RealPlayer bundled adware shenanigans, i uninstalled RealPlayer (one day after i installed it) - notwithstanding that windows firewall has, as i've said, ceased before.

do you think RealPlayer installed a piece of malware?

anyway, what can i do about getting windows firewall turned on? .... or should i just disable windows firewall and uninstall the entire ms onecare package? i've been told that packages consume a lot of resources and are, pound-for-pound. significantly less effective than independent units. if you recommend the latter strategy then please recommend products for the units: antivirus, antispyware, registry cleaner, disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, monitor for open ports, ...

many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

Windows live one care I dont recommend it. check this web site and check the ratings compared to other products:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I like to say: I dont want to pay to beta test. I might consider it once it actually gets a good rating.

Real player is not malware, it just may not function correctly in windows vista.

Just get avast antivirus, which I know is fully vista compatible, and get a firewall, making sure that anything that you install is vista compatible

Edited by oldf@rt, 22 April 2007 - 03:02 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users