Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Politics Today

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

When you turn on the T.V. or the Radio what are you likely to hear? A basketball game? The weather? More likely you will hear political bashing. I think its sad but slowly and surely our politics are turning into "he/she wants to take food out of your baby's mouth" and just political attacks that are non-stop. Ex. everytime you hear about bush in the news your very likely to hear a democrat proclaiming "this is another vietnam, and bush knows nothing", but yet they sit on their but and do nothing. I may not agree with your view but please support it, and do something about it. Last presidential race was just amazing I couldn't believe it, With Bush and Kerry goin at it about both each others war records. Now compare today's cut-throughout politics to those of past years, while we have been divided in parties even other presidential runners shook hands and even went to bars together! Right now there is a huge rift in our political system There is only one side or the other, the two parties can't agree on anything, and blatantly just oppose each other without hearing each other out! In the past the presidential runners have been divided on a few issues but could mostly agree on things such as national security, and what is right in the world and what to stand up for. Politics saddens me, I have had thoughts that politics is not about the average joe or richie rich or even poor willy, but more it resembles a power struggle with both parties disowning each other. You can even see it when the president gives his address to the nation, its always one side claps and the other doesn't. Is something wrong with the political system, or is it just me?
Why can't there be agreements and working together both parties for the future of our great nation?

-Ussr1943-
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

Honestly, Im fed up with American politics in general. Most candidates are all politically cleansed and refuse to speak out on issues that hurt their chances of being elected (welfare reform, universal health care,and other hot button issues) and those that do are often bashed to no end by their opponents. Private Interest groups fund almost every slanderous Advertisement against a candidate. Frankly it makes me sick.

Posted Image

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:43 AM

With respect,this Topic has been flogged to death in the Forums.IMHO.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

Politics is just too political.

But, I could be wrong.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Ex. everytime you hear about bush in the news your very likely to hear a democrat proclaiming "this is another vietnam, and bush knows nothing", but yet they sit on their but and do nothing.

For the first 6 years, what exactly could they "do?" Even now that they have the House, they barely have the Senate...and Bush has openly said he will veto any bill that restricts our occupation.

Last presidential race was just amazing I couldn't believe it, With Bush and Kerry goin at it about both each others war records.

The reason politicians use slander is that the public responds to it. Look at the early stages of Kerry's campaign; the philosophy was that since Americans are sick of negativity, they'd try a "positive" approach. Look how much good it did?

The thing about negative campaigns is that the public simply reacts more strongly. A negative campaign tactic doesn't even have to be true, just nasty enough to stick. Even when the truth is shown, often the damage is already done.

Perhaps the question is, why do we as a people respond to such tactics? Why is it not enough for a candidate to state his/her positions and defend them?
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#6 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:54 AM

I hate politics. It's all about lies, slander, and probably everything else evil. Unfortunately, people always ruin any form of government because a corrupt person always sneaks in. Democracy may have a ton of corruption, but at least we, the citizens, have *some* say in what goes on, however small.

Edited by solaris32, 24 April 2007 - 03:54 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

You are absolutely right. Politics today is more of finding out what is wrong with your opponent (or finding there skeletons in the closet) than making yourself look better.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Today American politics, especially at the national level, has been filled up with self-serving politicians more concerned with Party than with actually serving their constituents---their political adds are either slogans or personal attacks because they believe (and perhaps justifiably so) that quick-think will get them elected. One searches for STATESMEN who will speak honestly and about the major problems we face, but we find none.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

It is no wonder that the political scene has become so perverted, the amounts of money involved are staggering!

Public Office used to be about Public Service, now it is about Self Service. In times past, people entered the political arena in an effort to help their fellow community members. Now, public office has turned into winning the lottery! Golden parachutes notwithstanding, the amount of lobby money and special interest money is overwhelming.

Thus, fealty is not shown to those who elected a representative, but to the money that representative now receives.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

One searches for STATESMEN who will speak honestly and about the major problems we face, but we find none.

Why is it that when I do find a politician who's had what appears to be a shining career, I either dismiss the individual, thinking to myself, "Naa, this person can't be that good." Or, I simply can't accept that such a politician will actually get elected into the office I'd like him/her to because I've been so disappointed in the past, ie, "this person is just too good to be true, someone like this will never get elected."

Is it just that we are simply disillusioned with politics? Or is politics today really that much different than it has ever been in the past? What has changed: us, the system, or both?

Public Office used to be about Public Service, now it is about Self Service. In times past, people entered the political arena in an effort to help their fellow community members.

Again, has it changed that much, or have we simply become more aware and more ill at ease with the way politics is conducted? Is it because we remember certain public servants in the past and elevate them, as we so often do with historical figures, and then we ask our selves, "...why can't politicians today be like so and so from (enter date here)?

As for the money issue, why haven't we restricted the amount a party or candidate can spend? Is it even possible to limit campaign spending in the first place...what with slush funds and other shifty ways that can be used to fund candidates? Perhaps an even better question is this: why do expensive, short, emotion-laden commercials work so well in the first place? Doesn't it say something about us as a culture?

Why don't we employ run-off voting so people can choose who they really want without fear of simply electing the politician with the opposite point of view?

Edited by locally pwned, 02 May 2007 - 05:36 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

In it's heyday, the city-state of Athens choose its legislators by lot. I think we would be better off following their example.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

I think it would be better to choose the average joe, because really what is he/she going to do, vote for whats best for them, thier class, thier community, thier country. Not just some political party.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users