Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Readyboost Stops Working After A Few Minutes?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dynamik

dynamik

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

Hello everybody.
I have 1 gig of ram, therefore i've decided to try windows Readyboost.
I bought a 2gb Attache optima pro flash drive.

Here's the scenario:
I plug the flash drive into my USB port of my laptop, and click "Use this device to speed up my system"...etc....I reserve all 2 gigs of the flash drive as readyboost space. Everything is good and dandy, as you can see in this screenshot:
Posted Image

Here's the "General Properties" for the flash drive:
Posted Image

So far, everything is working great. My flash drive is flashing every once in a while, which I assume means it is being read from, etc. Readyboost is working, this is what I see when i browse to the USB drive:
Posted Image

After about ten minutes or so, though, (pretty much random), readyboost stops working.
It stops flashing completely. When I browse to the flash drive like I did before, It sees the flash drive like usual. However, when i double click it, no longer is there a "readyboost cache" file stored on the flash drive. It says "This disk is empty"
On top of that, when I right click on the "USB Drive" in windows explorer and hit properties, it says this:
Used Space:
0 MB
Free Space:
0 MB

To get readyboost working again I am forced to take out the flash drive, wait a second, then plug it back in.

Any ideas?
Thanks alot guys, its really appreciated.

~Keith

Edited by dynamik, 21 April 2007 - 11:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

Try setting the ready boost to use 1852 mb of the flash drive, or go with what windows recommends (1810 MB)

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 April 2007 - 11:07 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

Thank you for this suggestion, I will try it out right away! I'll let you know if it stops the problem.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

You're Welcome.

#5 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

Nope, the problem is still occurring.
After a few minutes it stopped working again, even after i changed it to use 1852 MB. Here are some screenshots.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for your time,
~Keith

Edited by dynamik, 21 April 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:45 PM

CHange it to the windows recommended size see if that works.

#7 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

I changed it to 1810 , the windows reccomended size. I also put some other files on the flash drive to see that if when the error happens i lose the other files as well.

I will keep you all updated, thanks for your help!

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

I went through M$ knowledgebase last night, and could find nothing about this error. Can you check the hardware event log and see if there are any errors listed?

#9 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

It just happened again. Readyboost was just wiped off the drive. The other files that I put on the flash drive are still there, untouched, as you can see here:
Posted Image

Oldf@rt, How do I get to the hardware event log?

Thanks a bunch!

~keith

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

I just copied it directly from M$:

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Here is the link to the page at M$: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...0ef9da1033.mspx

Edited by oldf@rt, 22 April 2007 - 03:37 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

I wonder if your drive has some issues. As I understand it, ReadyBoost scans your drive to see if it'll work before it lets you use it. Then it continues to scan it periodically when it's in use. It might be that something causes a small amount of "lag" when accessing the drive after it's been initialized as a ReadyBoost device. Then, if the drive was "borderline" to begin with, it'd drop out of recognition and cause the behavior that you've described.

Please understand that this is just a theory and may have absolutely no bearing on the actual status of your flash drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

One way to test would be to get a drive that is ReadyBoost capable, and see if you still have the problem.

If you do, then your problem would seem to be with your system or OS, but if it works OK, then it would suggest the drive.

Or, the reverse -

Do you know someone else with a Vista system that can try your drive?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#13 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

I bought this flash drive specifically because it said "readyboost capable" on the box.

No, unfortunately, I dont know anyone else with Vista in my area.

I have formatted the flash drive in fat32 now, I'll see if this fixes the problem.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

I am beginning to think along the lines that USAMA mentioned earlier, that there may be problems with the drive, or possibly the usb port. Does your computer have USB 1.1 or 2.0?

#15 dynamik

dynamik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

I am beginning to think along the lines that USAMA mentioned earlier, that there may be problems with the drive, or possibly the usb port. Does your computer have USB 1.1 or 2.0?

USB 2.0.

By the way, I tried FAT, FAT32, and NTFS formatting, and all three disappear after a while.

EDIT:
Could this be the problem? It was set on "optimize for quick removal". I just changed it to "Optimize for performance"
Posted Image

Thanks for your help guys,
~Keith

Edited by dynamik, 23 April 2007 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users