Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Newest Avg Free Program Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

I use AVG Free and there's a new large update to the program. However, I'm uncertain what to download/update. You can see a screen cap here:

http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?atta...mp;d=1177169690

As you can see, there is a Recommended Update and an Optional Update, yet they *almost* seem to be the same thing (though the second is larger than the first). At the very least, they seem to contain much of the same stuff with the same names and version numbers.

1. Do I need to even update at all? I can still download virus definition updates and other updates using 7.5.446.

2. Is the option here to update *either* the Recommended Update OR the Optional Update?

2a. What does the Optional Update have over the Recommended Update?

2b. If I download the Recommended Update, will it still prompt me for the Optional Update (or vice-versa)? And if so, will it download again the part of the update that I'd already have from whichever I choose to do first?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

Just click on update, and let it update.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

The recommended update contains both virus definitions and updates to the software; this should be installed. The optional update generally contains non--essential files (updated help files, for example); these additional files will continue to show up when you click on update after you install the recommended version. The difference gives users with limited download time, or limited disk space, a useful choice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

Just click on update, and let it update.

Thanks for the post. It actually doesn't work that way. I was actually given three update CHOICES -- the standard virus definition, the Recommended Update and the Optional Update. I chose the virus definitions and then posted here. Just clicking update does not update in this case. You have to choose.

The recommended update contains both virus definitions and updates to the software; this should be installed. The optional update generally contains non--essential files (updated help files, for example); these additional files will continue to show up when you click on update after you install the recommended version. The difference gives users with limited download time, or limited disk space, a useful choice.

So will ONLY the additional files show up, or will the files that are the same in both updates also show up still? And if so, wouldn't I already have those files from the "Recommended Update"? Will it try to install them again?

And so the optional update will continuously show up until I download it? Should I download the optional update?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 22 April 2007 - 12:26 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users