Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmonkeytoes

mrsmonkeytoes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

hello. for several weeks, my computer has been randomly, spontaneously rebooting itself. sometimes once, sometimes numberous times. no rhyme or reason to what programs are running or not running, whether norton is on or not.

i have XP Professional 5.1, Build 2600
Service Pack 2
Gateway GT5012 desktop

history: i had a virus right before this started. went to live.support.com & thought i got rid of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if its deeply embedded somewhere & causing this problem. neither norton nor AVG ever picked up on the virus.

what i've tried: restore didn't work because it said no files had been changed. norton is updated daily and scans regularly, finding nothing. every time i try to scan with AVG, it reboots. same with live.support.com. i can't bring it up in Safe mode - every time it gets to the file \windows\system32\drivers\agpCPQ.sys, it stops & reboots. i've read some posts that said its not that file, but the next one that's the problem. the next file is aha154x.sys, which is apparently a critical file. i've taken the cover off & blown off my fan.

i tried www.support.com, and their final verdict was my video card because of the file it stops on. said they were 99% sure that was it, but i'm about 99% sure it isn't.

any help, and i do mean ANY, would be greatly appreciated. i apologize if this problem is any kind of repeat.

thanx
laugh a lot, and when you're older, all your wrinkles will be in the right place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cooldan1

Cooldan1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

If you have a second machine, or someone else has a machine you can borrow, take out the hard drive on yours, and put it as a slave on theirs. Run a virus scan now, on their machine and see if it catches the little guy.

Reason being: many virii these days are tricky, and lodge themselves in startup and on memory so while a virus scan is running, it will miss it due to the virus hiding itself from view.

Edited by Cooldan1, 21 April 2007 - 08:37 PM.

#3 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:17 AM

Make sure your CPU's not overheating.

Edited by emucade, 22 April 2007 - 03:19 AM.

" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

Try testing your RAM using Memtest86. Faulty RAM can cause your computer to reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users