Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed Xp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

First of all I would like to say That I think You guy's do a really great job helping people with there pc problem's. This is 1 website i'm glad that i'm apart of.. I've been checking out all the topics and I have read about some really software to help me with some of my own pc Bleeping problem's.. SO THANK'S... I play a lot of games on the net and do a lot of surfing and sometimes my pc get's slow do they make any kind of speed up my pc or anything like that, that really works without slowing it down even more...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

First we would like to know the specifications of the machine, ram, hdd, processor, make and model, etc.

One of the reasons that I ask this is that most of the applications dont really help enough. There are free applications available that are just as good, if not better!

here is a link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hi ruger, I dont use any so called system clean up / mechanic tools any more. (as I run Vista)The main reason why you should use these programs with caution is because if you dont know enough about what you are deleting or changing it can cause all sorts of problems.
But there are many ways to help keep your PC clean and running at its best, from making sure you do a virus /spyware scans regularly to making sure you have the latest drivers installed. This is a good link for keeping your PC in tip top condition http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79279/winxp-slooooow-shutdown-manual-off-needed/
After reading the link and you still want to use a stand alone program try this one BUT DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU! And please if you do use a clean up program BACK UP FIRST!
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by Monty007, 21 April 2007 - 07:20 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

welcome to b.c ruger all i can say aboutyour comuter running slow is try not to hve anything you dont need to have running on p.c startup what anti-virus do you have macafee,norton system hogs what i suggest is limit what you have running in the backround while you are doing otherthings .i always had lime wire running and many other programs and they really slowed down my p,c hope you find all your answers here
don,t remove anything till you have spoke to the hjt team as monty007 said don't say i didn't warhn you that means he is not sure of advice he is giving you i advise go here
click here
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#5 Ruger

Ruger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

Thank's for replying guy's.. I have a compaq FS740 pc with pentium 4 processor 1.5GHz, 512 ram, 40 Gb hard drive,56K V.90 modem I upgraded to 128MB G-Force fx Video card and I also added 256mb of memory and yes I do have ccleaner and it works very well. I have bitDefender antivirus suite w/spyware ,firewall etc. I use my spybot, Xoftspy, Ad-aware 6.0. and Tuneup utilities 2007 that I use Like 3 times a week BUT Still Sometimes when I start my Game Delta force blackhawk down or surf to much It hangs up and sometime it freezes and then I just restart my pc and it usually fixes the problem until next time.. I also have broadband conn. Is there anything you can think of to help my prob... Thanks

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Your lavasoft ad aware 6.0 is no longer supported the latest version is AdAware SE Personal, I would recommend that you uninstall the old version, and download and install the new version.

Comment two: if you have XSoft spy running in the system tray there may be conflicts with your Bitdefender Suite.

how long has it been since you defragmented the hard drive?

Try this: inthe run line type this defrag C: -b and then enter to run the program.

this will help your machine to start faster.

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 April 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Just forgot this update your definations in the new ad aware, and scan your complete drive. As the version that you had is out of date, you may have unknowingly have some malware on the machine.

As was said earlier, if you are unsure, please post a HijackThis log.

#8 Ruger

Ruger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Thank's oldfart for replying.. I will upgrade my ad-aware 6.0 and I defrag my pc about 2 times a month because I do alot of downloading trying new software etc. I don't leave Xoftspy in my tray usually I close everything Before I play games so they don't interfere.. I'm not sure but i'm Thinking that I may need to upgrade my pc since iv'e had this old thing for 7 years now. Thank's Again for your help..(:

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

How long has it been since you opened the case and blew out all the dust? If you need to do this, pay extra attention to the power supply and the cpu cooler. It does not sound like the computer is to old, what os do you have? The old "if it aint broke, dont fix it" applies.

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 April 2007 - 09:57 PM.

#10 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

Yes !
I use System Mechanic 6 pro.
and yes this is a great forum!
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:16 AM

welcome to b.c ruger all i can say aboutyour comuter running slow is try not to hve anything you dont need to have running on p.c startup what anti-virus do you have macafee,norton system hogs what i suggest is limit what you have running in the backround while you are doing otherthings .i always had lime wire running and many other programs and they really slowed down my p,c hope you find all your answers here
don,t remove anything till you have spoke to the hjt team as monty007 said don't say i didn't warhn you that means he is not sure of advice he is giving you i advise go here
click here

I take offence to your comments. DONT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH PLEASE!
MCP
MSDST

#12 Ruger

Ruger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

Hey guy's thx for all your comment's. I take this old pc out to the garage about 2 time a year and give this thing a real good cleaning. I can usually tell when its time the fan starts getting louder.. I used to have system mechanic 6 I may get it back out and try it again.. I'm not sure what O.S meen's though.. I'm not a pc geek, don't really understand the lingo So you may have to come down to earth with me sorry...

#13 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:16 AM

I take offence to your comments. DONT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH PLEASE

my apologies monty no offence was meant i was trying to point the guy in the right direction before he started downloading all sorts of progrms once again my deepest apologies :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Hello,

I have been using this tool for a while, have had no problems with it at all and it certainly gave the system a boost http://iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html

This is my defragger of choice that I am using http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php then use the windows defrag tool to compact the files.

You might want to look at Black vipers service configuration http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm to get to your service page click start then run and type services.msc

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on
Regards,

Alan.

#15 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

I take offence to your comments. DONT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH PLEASE

my apologies monty no offence was meant i was trying to point the guy in the right direction before he started downloading all sorts of progrms once again my deepest apologies :thumbsup:

Ok alls forgiven. :flowers:
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users