Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Reintroduces Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

(AP) Back by popular demand: Windows XP. PC maker Dell Inc. said on its Web site Thursday it will once again let home PC buyers choose between Microsoft Corp.'s older operating system and Windows Vista when they purchase certain new machines.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/312419_dellxp20.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

thank god someones head is screwed on tight. buying PC's is becoming a hassle if you're not a gunia pig.

Posted Image

#3 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

I was thinking about getting a laptop, but ever since I saw this commercial I started to think about getting a Mac. Even though I have never used a Mac before. Now that I see that Dell is giving the consumer the option of Xp or Vista that changes things a bit for me. Hopefully the models they are offering the XP on aren't to expensive, or "cheap" (if you know what I mean).

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

I was thinking about getting a laptop, but ever since I saw this commercial I started to think about getting a Mac. Even though I have never used a Mac before. Now that I see that Dell is giving the consumer the option of Xp or Vista that changes things a bit for me. Hopefully the models they are offering the XP on aren't to expensive, or "cheap" (if you know what I mean).

Cozy -

The Mac guy isn't being totally honest in those commercials.

Cancel?

or

Allow?

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Well I haven't used Vista myself, but my friend has it on her computer. Shes always asking me, do I cancel, allow, or I think the other one was "ask again later". If it really is like the way the commercial portrays it, I would get fed up with it. It would be a good way to "unplug" the internet junkies. :flowers: For now I think I will stick with XP. :trumpet:

"You are coming to a sad realization.....Cancel or Allow?" :thumbsup: That one cracks me up every time.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Does it ask for every page you load until you set it over every page every time?
I hope they continue XP for years to come. Vista is a flunk. Xp was fine but Bill needed a few more billions.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 21 April 2007 - 09:23 PM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:48 AM

Ah, yes Bill always needs his billions, and billions, ad infinitum----

Really people just dont want to pay for the amount of ram that vista needs to run correctly (Including me).
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

This is a good topic. Vista is new and will take time and as everyone knows its high on resourses to say the least. Reminds me when Win95 was released.
As for Mr $$$$$$ you either love him or hate him.
And for the record I run Ultimate (on a dam fast PC) and (I have 4 PCs other 3 have XP) I wont be changing back.
MCP
MSDST

#9 billthebutcher

billthebutcher

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

This is a good topic. Vista is new and will take time and as everyone knows its high on resourses to say the least. Reminds me when Win95 was released.
As for Mr $$$$$$ you either love him or hate him.
And for the record I run Ultimate (on a dam fast PC) and (I have 4 PCs other 3 have XP) I wont be changing back.

Why you like the high gloss finish ? :thumbsup:

Vista uses more resources = Less FPS = Bad..

I wonder if you get a discount if you choose XP over Vista?

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Vista is actually really good about not hogging resources. There are a lot more possibilities to prioritize different tasks to make sure the games run well. The big problem is that Vista has a completely different driver architecture. This means the drivers has to be rebuilt from the ground up, and so five years of driver performance optimization has gone out the window.

I wonder if you get a discount if you choose XP over Vista?

It will cost Dell more to support two operating systems, so rather than a discount you might get a price hike.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

For now, maybe, but once DX10 is introduced, and video cards start supporting it, and the game vendors take advantage of it; gaming in Vista will blow away anything running on XP.

Not only more FPS, but more detail in each frame = Good.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

Until that time I will continue to use XP. No real reason for me to upgrade yet.
I mean I COULD still use windows 95 or 98 if I wanted.

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

Until that time I will continue to use XP. No real reason for me to upgrade yet.
I mean I COULD still use windows 95 or 98 if I wanted.

True there is no reason to buy Vista I have always waited b4 buying any OS but this time I just wanted it.
I would like to see some one running 95 again.......darn Ive forgotten how to use it :flowers: ......thats wright format every 3 months :trumpet:

And yes I do like the glossy finish :thumbsup:
MCP
MSDST

#14 billthebutcher

billthebutcher

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:46 AM

I'm a XP fan. It's a great OS. I wish Billy spent the money into XP instead of Vista. But in saying that, Microsoft needed to get a new OS out there.

#15 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:22 AM

I would like to see some one running 95 again.......darn Ive forgotten how to use it ......thats wright format every 3 months

I have 2 HDDs with DOS on them, a laptop with Win 3.1, and a couple of computers with 95 on them still. And various old processors like Pentium Overdrive, i386, and even an 8 (!) mhz cpu. I need to get rid of it all!!! :thumbsup:

I personally am going to stick with XP for now, after all that crap with Microsoft with whether or not my OS was legal (which it was before any of you ask :flowers:) , now that it works I see no need to lay down another 150$+ for a new OS, plus my 'new computer' wont support it.

-Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users