Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! How do I edit what gets loaded at StartUp?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twentyniner

twentyniner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

I have Windows XP Home. When I try to run games that require a lot of memory I have to go in under "Windows Task Manager" then "Processes" and delete almost everything under my name in order to free up enough memory for the game to run properly. It is a pain in the ***!

I've searched all through WinXP help and cannot find a way to keep those pesty things such as notifyalert.exe & msmsgs.exe from getting loaded in the first place. Once I delete these, along with about 8 other items, the games run fine and I don't have any trouble running other apps.

PLEASE HELP, my carpal tunnel can't take this added burden! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Apocalypse1972

Apocalypse1972

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

This will not remove them from the startup list but will prevent them from running upon startup...

start>run>type "msconfig" then OK

then under "start-up" tab uncheck the items that you no longer wish to start upon a restart, click apply and then you will have to reboot

Upon reboot you will receive a message saying that you have changed the startup, just click "don't show me this again" and there you go :thumbsup:

Just make sure to only uncheck the programs you are sure you don't need at startup

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

twentyniner :thumbsup: to BC
Well, either you could go to Start\Run and type in msconfig and stop them from running at startup by unchecking the process from the start up tab or you could use this freeware startup manager. I would use the start up manager myself. If you do go into msconfig, make sure you check all boot paths on the Boot.ini tab before you leave. Otherwise you may end up with an extra boot screen when you boot your computer.

CodeStuff startup manager http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/

Edit: If you are not sure what you may safely shutdown, click the link in my sig and look up the processes in the task list.

Edited by Ronbo, 13 January 2005 - 12:58 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users