Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Buy A 24inch Lcd Monitor!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mobusta

mobusta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

So for the past week and half Iíve been looking at lcd monitors. I thought I wanted to get a 22inch but after many years of using the cheapest crtís and then finally a cheapy 17in lcd from gateway I decided to bump it up to the 24. Iím having a really hard time deciding which one to get because everywhere I look I read mixed reviews. Iím going to MAINLY use it for gaming (and web surfing), and itís pretty intensive gaming at that. Iím a real big graphics junkie so having an excellent quality picture is important to me. Iíve pretty much narrowed it down to these two (although feel free to post some of your own suggestions)

The first one is the Acer AL2416WD which is priced at $555.00 (shipping included) :

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...p=C&topnav=

Second a dell 2407WFP which is 640 (before shipping) with a 4 year advanced warranty.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-4335

Now the specs on both of the mointors look the same to me but I hear that dell is a great company and there warranty is also great so thats why its more expensive and i'm sorta leaning towards them. My only fear is that I hear a lot about ghosting and frame skipping in intensive action paced games from these types of lcds.

I wanted to stay in the 500-600 range so if anyone has more suggestions go ahead and post them.

One question thought, it says these monitors are HDCP compliant, what does that mean?

If anyone wants to know what kinda system i'm gonna be hookin it up to its a:
Gateway 550 gr
Intel augsburg mobo
p4 3.2
2 gigs ram
x1950pro 512MB
200gig 7200rpm

Thanks in advance and sorry for makin it so long!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) developed by Intel Corporation...

More info here at Wikipedia

Sorry I have no information on the two monitors you note.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:16 AM

I would go with the Dell, but the Acer's nice as well.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 ō«Ž¶ÚT

ō«Ž¶ÚT

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

wow

wow

That is a massive monitor. I thought my 19 inch was big.

Anyway, I'm sure either will be fine, they seem pretty much the same. I would go with the dell.

Posted Image

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

They both look very nice. Just make sure that your video card can support their native resolutions. There are two things to look for with LCD's, a fast refresh rate 6ms or less, and a high contrast ratio.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users