Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Freebsd, Opensuse, Others

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

I was looking into other operating systems for my old laptop just to surf the web and what not. But WinXP is too much for the old thing and Win2000 doesn't do anything for me cause I can't use IE7 (I <3 tabs). Above all though, I want to use a different OS (preferably a linux of sorts) and expand my knowledge with something besides windows. I'm not sure If FreeBSD has a GUI at all and if it does, I have NO idea how to install it with dependancies and all that jazz. Do you think that my laptop (Dell Latitude CPi A, 128MB RAM, 6GB HDD, PII) would be able to handle openSUSE i think 10 or something good enough for what i need it for? Also, what about any other operating system i didnt mention and/or hear of that could suite my needs?

Also, I tried Fedora, but im a linux n00b so i probably installed it wrong.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

Right now, I have Fedora core 6 installed on an old Emachine Emonster 600, with 256M of ram. It detected all hardware on this machine, and seemed to have an extensive amount of hardware support. runs like a champ now. Everything setup correctly with about the same user intervention that windows needs.

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 April 2007 - 05:21 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

I use FC6 in my current eMachine as well and have tried many flavors of *nix. Tust me if your just getting started FreeBSD is not the way to go. I would suggest either FC2 or 3 or Xbuntu as I like to run very light on older PC's to help the speed issue. Using X face desktop will help and so will running an older version of an OS (FC3 is only 2 years old)

Posted Image

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

K, so use fedora core 3? will it support my Linksys WP54GS wireless card?

and also, when downloading the CDs, which ones do i download, the SRPM (something like that) or the ones without it?

Also, whats the difference between KDE and GNOME?

Edited by TheYoda, 21 April 2007 - 06:07 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Ok, I'm not sure on the linksys wireless card. ask that to the Fedora Forums as they can give you a direct answer. http://www.fedoraforum.org/

Gnome- one form of gui looks like this (FC6 version shown)
KDE is another form of GUI and looks like this

Xface is yet another GUI that is much more "lightweight" (less RAM used) and looks like this

Honestly theres alot of small differances but the look and feel are the main ones. I personally perfer Gnome and Xfce over KDE if you can install them all and try which one you like best.

Posted Image

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Oh ok. I'll try out GNOME first. Which image do i download? the FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso or the FC3-i386-disc1.iso? I don't know the difference

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Sorry I missed that part last time. Download the i386 ISO's. Let me know if you need info on Burning the ISO's

Posted Image

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Nah, its alright, ive done it a million times. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how the install went.

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

The install went all right, every works. The only thing is i can't get my resolution above 800x600 and I know my hardware supports up to 1024x780 (or somethign like that) and it has the right drivers and everything, it just won't get bigger. And images are choppy too and scrolling is painful. Any idea on this one?

And about the card, i read up about a program for this called ndiswrapper where i could use windows drivers in linux. Unfortunatly since i have no clue how to work linux, i can't make anything of the install instruction...its all greek to me. Here are the instructions, can you simplify what i have to do?

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

Before you start adding things that are supposed to help, try fixing the core problems first. You can manually edit your display config file to include the necessary resolution. I can't tell you what it is right off though because I am on my Windows box at the moment.... maybe if I think really hard....
You want to edit the xconfig file, but I can't remember where it is. If you drop to a terminal and type in (as su or root):
updatedb
then:
locate xconfig
You should be able to find it. There will be a section that looks like this:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	 "Screen0"
	Device		 "Videocard0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection	 "Display"
		Viewport	0 0
		Depth	   16
		Modes	  "800x600" "640x480" "1920x1200"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection	 "Display"
		Viewport	0 0
		Depth	   24
		Modes	  "800x600" "640x480" "1920x1200"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Chances are that you are missing some display resolutions under the display portion. Maybe if you post what your configuration looks like, one of us will spot the problem. One of my systems does the exact same thing with CentOs.

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

ok, I did that, and it gave me the directory /usr/bin/selinuxconfig. I try clicking the file but nothing happens, is there something I'm supposed to do with it to get it to run or open? I'm sorry if my questions are dumb, i have no idea what im doing. :thumbsup:

And wow, the man himself replied to my petty post, I'm honored.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

selinuxconfig is not the same thing... the file should be called xconfig, and should be in the (I think) X11 path somewhere. I'll be on my other machine tomorrow, and I can look and see where the file should be.

You can't just click on a file in Linux and expect something to happen. You will have to open it with something like vi or gedit.... I'll help you with that once I can help you find the right file.

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted? I'll be the first to admit that I an be a rude twit to those members that deserve it, but I try to help wherever and whenever I can. :thumbsup:

#13 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

not to throw this too far off from it's current track, but I don't really know why so many people think FreeBSD is not for beginners. I am no Unix genius and FreeBSD has been the first *nix OS that I have succesfully installed, configured, and used without any help. Even installing both the Gnome and KDE GUI's.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

The same reason some people can pick up a foreign language with ease while others can't (myself included). For some people, it just naturally makes sense. I wouldn't recommend starting out with BSD either.

@TheYoda: My bad... you want to look for this file instead: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Do you have that one?

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Yes, I have that file, I opened it and I found the mentioned section and added in the resolution and now its working great. Thanks a lot!! :flowers:

After I connected to the internet once, I now get an error message before my desktop loads, but after I log in. It says "Could not look up internet address for localhost.localdomain. This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding localhost.localdomain to the file ect/hosts." I just click 'Log in Anyway' and everything seems to work fine. NOTE: I'm not connected to the internet when I get this message.

Now, how do I work this ndiswrapper thing? Cause I can't make anything of the instructions and I don't know of any programs in Linux except terminal and firefox and openoffice.org...thats it. So teach me like im 10 years old, :trumpet:.

Again, all help is appreciated greatly.

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted? I'll be the first to admit that I an be a rude twit to those members that deserve it, but I try to help wherever and whenever I can. :thumbsup:

Flattered, lol, there was no sarcasm in that whatsoever. I just found it awesome that the big cheese himself is helping me.

Edited by TheYoda, 23 April 2007 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users