Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re: Can Only See Half Of My Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

hello,
I'm trying to revive my old Dell Inspiron 6000 so I can put Linux on it. Well I can see the top of my LCD screen, but when I get halfway down, its just white with white stripes across it. What does this mean? Do I need a new LCD screen or will reinstalling XP, then the drivers fix the problem?

Help please,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

First thing I would do would be to download the latest drivers, uninstall the current drivers, reboot, install the newest drivers and then reboot again and keep my fingers crossed.

Does it do this in safe mode? You could also try that monitor on a different system, and trying a different monitor on your current system to rule out hardware (bad hardware if it does the same thing with a new monitor, bad monitor if that monitor does the same thing on a different system).

Hope this helps! Let us know! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

It does this in safe mode too. I've been trying to install the video driver..... no success yet. It is the ATI Mobility Radeo X300 driver....

ugh.... it gets halfway then quits.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

If it does it in safe mode, then I'd venture a guess that your monitor might be fooey....although the inability to completely install the drivers confuses me too... :huh:

Try installing the drivers in safe mode, after you uninstall the old drivers, while completely disconnected from the internet (unplug the cord from the back of your machine, unless your on dial up, then just ensure that you're not dialed in!), and with the anti-virus and any/all firewall and malware programs off. This will rule out a program stopping the installation procedure from completing.

Let us know...and keep your chin up! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

i may be wrong but it does sound as though your monitor has gone.
but to be sure do as stevealmighty suggested and try another monitor.
the reason i say this my l.c.d monitor done something similar but with the right side of the screen
gl :thumbsup: mike
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

Ok. Something is weird. I have successfully installed 99% of my drivers, am able to use Internet Explorer, and Windows XP MCE successfully. The white space also shrunk by about 2% during the installations of my drivers.

What's up?

#7 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

once again dont quote me but my monitor seemed to fluctuate between half screen white lines and quarter
screen, mine was cheaper to replace than fix according to p.c world hope someone knows better gl mike :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

Ok. Something is weird. I have successfully installed 99% of my drivers, am able to use Internet Explorer, and Windows XP MCE successfully. The white space also shrunk by about 2% during the installations of my drivers.

What's up?

I'd try another monitor on your system, and put your monitor on a different system. It's a pain, I know, but it seems like the logical thing to do at this point. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

:thumbsup: i think your right steve 100% hope for jesse he does,nt have to buy a new monitor :huh:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#10 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

:thumbsup: i think your right steve 100% hope for jesse he does,nt have to buy a new monitor :huh:

Yeah, tell me about it. I looked at the prices for a new LCD screen for my 'puter:

$299- $350

ouch!

:huh:

#11 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

same in england well maybe a little cheaper my monitor lcd-tv 24" 129
let you do the math
god my head hurts.

Posted Image