Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tangodialer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Dear all

I am running XP with Service Pack 3.

I have been having really bad problems with a slow running machine. The culprit is always an svchost.exe file, which when closed down, the machine runs OK. I have been protected with AVG antivirus and spyware protection as well as windows firewall and scans have not revealed any problems. (The installation of SP3 has not had any bearing on this as the machine was running slowly for a long time prior to its installation last weekend 14/04/07)

I was recently recommend to use Spybot and the very first Spybot scan identified "Tangodialer" on my PC as a high risk item. However, when I ask Spybot to remove it, it always fails as the program is in use.

I have rebooted the machine whilst disconnected from the internet and it still will not remove. Tangodialer does not appear in the processes that are running in Windows Task Manager and is not on the list of installed programs in Control Panel so I am sure I have found the culprit.

If anybody has any ideas how I can remove this, I would be very grateful.

Hopefully

Carrieann
UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

You are probably going to need the Hijack This experts' help. Try the two programs below first, though.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
(pre-Vista OS's)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for your help, Buddy 215. I'm going to have to go the Hijack This Forum. Superantispyware didn't get rid of the dialer, but found more infections than I care to think about, so will be using this program in the future,

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

You are welcome.
Just a reminder not to bump (reply) your log or reply until one of the Hijack This team has responded.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users