Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

America Online Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

First, I think I will get a different ISP soon and remove aol from this computer, because the $9 per month rate we have now for unlimited use and dial-up is probably about to change to whatever their normal rate is.

Normally, aol has been telling me it is connected at 46666 bps or 45333. (Is that bits or bytes?) Average download speeds generally run about 3.5 kilobytes per second. About one week ago I started getting speeds like 12000, 18200, and 24800, and I had AVG update as slow as about 50 bytes per second. Also, the connection process will proceed very slowly through "requesting network attention," "talking to network," "connecting to aol," and "checking password." It often announces at any of those stages, "connection to america online has been lost," and starts over with the next number on the list.

Other times I can connect normally, as right now. Usually, once I do connect normally, I don't have a problem staying online. At first, I thought it might be weather related, with the nor'easter coming through. I used to get noise on the line in damp weather and sometimes it would slow the connection speed or interrupt the connection. However, I haven't heard static on the phone since maybe December, suggesting Verizon found the problem and fixed it. The weather is now good, but the problem continues.

Anybody else been having this problem since about April 13 (I am located in Delaware)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

The "noise" can be almost inaudible and still cause the problem you are experiencing. You may have a jack in the outside junction box that you can unplug the cable going into the house and plug a phone directly to outside wiring--bypassing the indoor wiring and then listening carefully for noise. If you hear nothing, and I do mean nothing, then the problem is likely inside the house in the equipment or wiring.
I have had experience with several dialup companies and it is likely that AOL will offer you another low rate period when you attempt to unsubscribe. There was only one that I would avoid like the plague and that was NetZero due to HEAVY advertising, dropped connections, and having to involve the BBB to get rid of the account.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

When I had noise on the line causing breaks in the connection, the noise was quite noticeable. I have tried listening at the junction box before, but the results were inconclusive, because the problem was weather related, the box is behind the bushes, and it usually was good weather when I went out there. Once before I did call repair after definitely hearing noise at the outside box, and the company fixed something over a mile away. I also have connections in the crawl space I can check. But I really suspect that the problem is at aol.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

My phone company (Bell South) ran a check for noise from their office when I was trying to trace the problem.
I really doubt if AOL is the problem. More than likely it is moisture getting thru the insulation somewhere, loose wire moving around in the wind, or equipment in the house.

Edited by buddy215, 21 April 2007 - 02:25 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

I actually treat AOL as if it is a virus, I have seen people have good results with a different company (any) without doing anything else. all the "Phone line problems" disappeared once they changed their ISP.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

Nothing says you can't have more than one ISP. I still get cds in the mail from PeoplePC. I liked Earthlink, too.
PeoplePC probably will let you try it out for a reduced price or free for a month. I have a sister who still uses dialup. She has Walmart's which uses Netscape browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users