Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pdf Wont Open On My Internet Browser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 big--phil

big--phil

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

hi,

for some reason PDF documents will no longer open in my internet browser, i use firefox and Internet Explorer and neither will work. my adobe works fine on its own when i open PDFs but i cant open PDFs on the web.

any help would be much appreciated as ive many college notes i really need to get to.

tanx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:51 AM

Try downloading Adobe Reader 8

If you have it you may try to reinstall it

What version of firefox do you have?

Edited by Commander Gman, 21 April 2007 - 04:52 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:13 AM

You could check the file associations. In the control panel click on folder options, click on the "file types" tab and see if pdf files are associated with Adobe Reader.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 big--phil

big--phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

my version of firefox is 2.0.0.3.

i tried download adobe 8.0 but when i tried install it, it said it could not remove the old 7.0.8 version. i then tried remove the old version in add/remove prgrams but it wouldnt work, it said that 'this patch package' could not be opened.

i checked my folder options and PDFs are associated with adobe reader

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

That's not good. Is the reader in the startup list? Something you might try is uninstalling in safe mode.

Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
(pre-Vista OS's)

There is an alternative reader that I see recommended a lot.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Edited by buddy215, 21 April 2007 - 06:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 big--phil

big--phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

i tried uninstalling it in safe mode but it didnt work. i installed foxit reader and set it to my default reader but pdfs still wont open from the internet. my browser just freezes for a few minutes anytime i try open one and then there's just a blank page.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

Check to see if a file association was created for Foxit. Under tools in IE, select addons and left click on Adobe browser helper. Block it.
In Firefox there is a plugin for Adobe--send it to the recycle bin. You can find it under Firefox/ plugins

What I am thinking is Adobe is trying to open pdfs, too.

Have you looked around on the web for help in getting rid of Adobe? Is yours the free version?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

Found this discussion of using the Windows uninstall utility and manual removal of Adobe.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc315a0

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users