Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Options Won't Hold?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

I have a Dell laptop that I use many evenings wirelessly. When I set it on 20 min. for each...standby, turn off monitor, turn off hard disks, etc. from the Power Options Properties it won't hold. I click "Apply" and "OK", so what is the problem? The next time I turn on my laptop, it's right back at the 1 or 3 minute settings, so if I'm reading something, I have to continue to move the curser to keep the monitor from going dark. Grrrrrrrrr :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beelzibub

Beelzibub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

It is possible that your cmos battery is bad. Is windows monitoring your power options, or is a dell monitoring program ?

Edited by Beelzibub, 20 April 2007 - 09:50 PM.

#3 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

Beats me...how do I tell?

#4 Beelzibub

Beelzibub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

in your control panel is there just a standard "power options" or is there something along the lines of "dell power monitoring n such" you can also check the bottom right taskbar, it will typically show a power cord or something of the such-this is the monitoring program

#5 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

Must be Windows monitoring....

#6 bbulbb

bbulbb

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Possibly try remove the checkmark from enable hibernate. >contol panel> power options > hibernate tab > then remove checkmark from enable hibernate.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

Check the user account permissions I have seen this occur in XP when the user does not have administrative rights.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users