Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Does Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

I was installing some programs, and everything was fine until I installed limewire (latest version). It started downloading java, and then windows started installing some patches. After the download was complete, the liewire instalation program was interrupted due to the windows one. The computer froze, so i had to reboot.

Now, before loading windows, it shows a message telling to "select proper boot device, or reboot and select proper boot media device" or so (don't remember the actual phrase, but its basically that).
I tried to run the comp. in safe mode, but of course, it doesn't work cuz it doesn't run windows. I tried to boot from my windows install cd, but it doesnt work (it just shows a while line flashing, matrix style) and waits forever.

I'm running a celeron 2.6 512 ram with windows XP SP2 recently formatted and reinstalled. It run a couple of times before, I installed some software before this happening (like magiciso and magicdisk, office 2007, msn, itunes). If anybody got a clue on how to solve this, I will gladly appreciate it.
More Info that may help:
- I have just one HD, ata
- I have an NVIDIA chipset

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by petocities, 20 April 2007 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beelzibub

Beelzibub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

boot off of the windows cd. on the first screen choose "r" for repair. when the screen goes black log onto the c:windows partition and type "fixboot" without the quotes. type "y" to write a new boot sector. then type chkdsk /r then type exit and reboot the machine. if you still cant boot, get back into the recovery console, log onto your partition and type fixmbr --- be sure to back up any important data b4 you do fixmbr as it rarely hoses the partitions, but hey, they're already screwed,right if you cant boot from the cd it suggests possible bois, rom, or cd problems, set the bios to boot from cd first (or second, after the floppy ) and dont hit any buttons until it tells you too, and dont mash the buttons, just hit a button once to boot from cd

Edited by Beelzibub, 20 April 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#3 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

it didnt want to run the windows cd, so i managed to find a floppy drive and use a boot disk. when i tried with the floppy, the win cd ran, and then i tried to repair the previously installed windows, but it said i had none.

After that, it just began to work.. so now everything is fine, and i have no idea why. Thanks guys anyway
Posted Image

#4 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

got to love that windows system restore !
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#5 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

truly...