Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 2 And Winzip 10 Issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

I upgraded from Firefox 1.5 to 2.0.0.3 yesterday. Have been using winzip 10 for long ... no issues earlier.

I keep my browser in offline mode, unless I am surfing the net. Firefox is my default browser. Previously (under 1.5), when I would click on a saved webpage inside a zipped folder, firefox would open the page (and remain offline). Now (under version 2), the same action opens firefox (in online state) with the saved webpage.

However, winzip has been acting funny. ZoneAlarm warns me that winzip is trying to access the internet (although winzip auto-update is off), and I promptly deny permission. Once, winzip crashed.

However, I right-clicked the same saved webpage and opened in IE 6 ... and, no issue.

What could be happening, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:21 AM

There could be a number of issues at hand here. The shortest way is to do the following START RUN and type eventvwr. This will open a screen where you can choose from 3 options (Application System and Security) Please check there for red crosses, selec them them and post the contents here.

[url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html]Event

#3 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the post. I check EventViewer as a daily routine, and there are no red crosses. Just for information, the last application error I had was way back on 16th March (IE fault), and the last system error was on 25th April (CDrom).

I had also posted in other fora, and here's one link which might be of interest http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=16222

Shall be grateful for some solution, to avoid my current workaround (viz., right-click, explained in the above link).

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Since there are no errors, I'd suspect it was a changed setting in Firefox 2.0. You can probably change it in about:config - but I have no clue about where to look for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

Thank you, especially for mentioning about:config (which I wasn't even aware of). Did a google search, and found plenty of resources, but too much for me (an average user). In the past, have been bold enough to do regedit, when some expert has guided step-by-step, but neither have the time nor confidence to face the brave world of Firefox setting adjustment on my own :thumbsup:

So, let it be ... certain things in life are meant to be endured with a smile I reckon :-)

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Playing around with about:config, is a lot easier than doing registry edits, and a lot safer. :thumbsup:
To play it safe, you can Create a new profile, and play around with it.

The good news is your cannot mess anything up permanently. Changes made to about:config are stored in a file called, (user.js), that is not present by default in the Mozilla profile folder.
To go back to the bone stock configuration, simply delete that file and it's like the changes never happened.

OR,

To undo the effects of a mistakenly entered or undesirable custom-created preference, right-click on it and select Reset, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it.

To open about:config:
Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar, or right click a tab and select New Tab.
This will open a new, blank Tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.

Other about: entries:
about:cache - memory, and disk, cache information
about:plugins - lists plugins installed
about:buildconfig - build configuration used for this version
about:credits - contributors
about:license - explanation of the Mozilla Public License
about:mozilla - mozilla credo (where I got my sig :flowers: )
about: - version

Edited by tg1911, 05 May 2007 - 10:15 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thank you for all about the about variants! Although I am not a computer guy, when time permits I love to play around with software ... if allowed to get back to the past, would have chosen programming as a profession :thumbsup:

However, on my specific issue ( http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=16222 ), i.e., right-click fine but left-click no, wondering which preference tweak would do the trick.
Any suggestion, please?

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

What happens when you center-click (mouse wheel)?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

Well, I have a Logitech usb optical wheelmouse, and so far, it's quite fine. Incidentally, my OS is XP-pro SP2.

I don't like the center-click behaviour, and don't use this function. However, I tried now both within WinExplorer and Winzip ... nothing happened. On a second PC, I have a newer mouse, and there center-click worked the way it should, viz., easy scroll.

I tried the center-click in my first PC, on a hyperlink in a webpage within Firefox, and it opened in a new tab ... generally I do this with a right-click.
However, prior to Firefox 2 upgrade, left- or right-click both were ok (no issues). And basically, my problem is with opening saved webpages smoothly from within WinExplorer or Winzip ... so, how would center-click help in this?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

I was wondering how, or if, the saved webpages would open, when center-clicked.

#11 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:26 AM

No, like I mentioned in my previous post, when I center-clicked on a saved webpage (WinExplorer / Winzip), absolutely nothing happened.

Frankly, I seem to have got used to this new way (right-click) of opening saved webpages now ... only that I do miss my earlier single-left-click action. Hope the Mozilla team gets this rectified in the next patch.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

Something you could do, if you want to try and troubleshoot it.
Create a new profile, and see if the pages will open the way you want, in the new profile.
The new profile will have no extensions, and Firefox's default settings.
If it does work, then you'll know it's either one of your setting, or an Extension, that's causing the problem.
If it does work, you can compare the configuration settings (about:config) of the two, and possibly determine where the setting was changed.

To just determine if it's an Extension causing it, go to Tools / Add-ons / Extensions, and disable your Extensions, one at a time, and check to see if it functions the way you want.
Restart Firefox after disabling, or re-enabling, an extension.

#13 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for your advice. Shall try to troubleshoot, when time permits.

Just thought of concluding now by mentioning that I am a bit paranoid about security, and open Firefox always in safe mode (both version 1.5 earlier and 2 now). I checked my add-ons, and the only two extensions appearing are DOM Inspector and Talkback. However, as expected, it says "All add-ons have been disabled by safe mode".

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

Well, that eliminates Extensions, as being the problem. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users