Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Print

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cristalou

cristalou

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

A friend asked for my help in resolving a printer problem but I could not fix it.

Printer is an HP LaserJet 5M
It was working fine until the following happened:

She added a new printer - HP OfficeJet all-in-one (don't know model number) and kept the HP LaserJet 5M as default. They both worked after installation of new printer.

The next day she acquired new VoiceOver IP phone service and lost Internet connectivity.
She had a tech support person come to her house to resolve the issue. He restored her PC to a date before the phone service switch and still no Internet connectivity. He told her she had a virus.
She had to reinstall the new printer because the restore date was before the install.
I was able to help her restore Internet connectivity (was an IP issue). No virus found.
The next day she realized that the LaserJet printer was not working. No error message appears on PC (Windows XP OS) when you send a job to the printer. Printer says, "Processing Job" but nothing happens. Went through all the trouble shooting steps after trying to print a test page. I deleted then added printer back in. Instead of using existing driver (default setting), it reinstalled driver. I even downloaded new driver from HP web site but ended up not using it because it said, "Not digitally signed".
Same problem, printer acts like it receives data with "processing Job" and no error message but does not print.

Also, new printer works fine.
From printer settings you can print a config page but no print jobs sent from the PC will print. Printer is online.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

Right click on the printer, select the ports tab, make sure the correct port is selected.

Ensure that the printer has not been disabled: Double click on the printer icon you should get the printer mionitor that says HP Laserjet click on printer and make sure the printer has not been paused.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 cristalou

cristalou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

The problem is solved. My friend said that she found multiple drivers for that printer installed including one for a color LaserJet (her is not color) that seemed to be the primary driver. She deleted all extra drivers and now it works.

Thanks

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

No problem. we all try to help.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic