Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Dvd/cd Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

My brothers laptop's dvd/cd burner combo drive has been making a very loud noise lately. You can hear it pretty much anywhere in the house its so loud. This happens when he has a cd in the drive. It is working fine though.

Well I'm thinking something might of happened so it became loose. We recently went on a trip to Canada and it was in a makeshift laptop carrying case and got thrown around a bit.

I'm pretty good with the insides of desktop computers. I put in a DVD drive in my own computer (along with many other things). I've never even opened a laptop up before though.

So does anyone have an suggestions as to what I should do. I thought I should take it out (please tell me how!), and tighten some screws. The laptop is a Compaq Presario v5000. I can give more info about it if needed.

Thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

Turn the case upside down. in the center of the laptop there is probably one screw that seems to be deeply inset. this is the optical drive retention screw. Also, on the bottom of the laptop there is a serial number tag. The line that resembles this: XX123XX ABA is the actual model number. This is the number that I need to look up the information on the exact model of this v5000 series laptop.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Well now its not having a problem. This is a bit weird. Thanks for the reply anyways!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users