Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lechatboote

lechatboote

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

:thumbsup:

Another fun problem with windows! Yipee. I have a program called Tune-Up utilities that allows you to tweak the looks of windows, much like Stardock products do.

It allows you to taka a picture and make your own boot screen. I have been using a personalized boot screen for quite a while. The other day I decided to change the picture. Bad move.

Now the the new boot screen starts loading and in the middle the blue screen of death briefly flashes in the background(not completely visable) the the computer shuts down and restarts. Never finishes loading.

Hard reboots, soft reboots, powering down and off. changing the boot order nothing works. I can't stop the process midstream to figure out how to revert.

HELP
Thank you so much

Linda Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hello,

I don't know if this will help you, but I have been using http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm for a free PC scan. There were several XP updates yesterday, and last night when I ran onecare.live.com, it found and fixed 200 registry problems.

Other freeware had previously found these registry problems but I never trusted them to allow a fix. If you can get your machine to that website, plan on being offline a few hours, and run the full scan. You will have to babysit the setup for a few minutes and then at the end allow it to do the fixes.

Do you know about booting to Safe Mode? shut down - start - tap F8 until you get the option to select safe mode. You might be able to undo some of the stuff you did. Like maybe deleting that program with uninstall? Also, not sure if you can get online to run onecare.live.com in Safe Mode, but you do have access to the windows utilities.

Hope this helps. Gee you are picky with how your machine looks (just joshin ya)

Good luck Linda
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

there is an option in winxp: Safe Mode with Networking. see if one care live will run.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

If I could get windows to boot in any fashion I wouldn't be writing. It won't go into safe mode of any kind, it won't load last know good config it won't load normally.

Here's the scenario. It starts loading and at the boot screen I see 10 seconds of blue screen underneath the boot screen with a message I cannot read before the computer shutsdown and reboots. A viscious endless loop cycle.

I would like to stop it mid boot screen load and read the message then I might have a chance of fixing it.

If windows would load I could run deep freeze or anything else but windows WILL NOT LOAD.

Yikes

I hate microshaft.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

What kind of computer is this?

#6 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

HP

#7 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

Linda, as I was scrolling down your reply, I said YIKES just as I got to yours. I like all the new words I'm learning in this thread.

Do you by any chance have Partition Commander or any disk you can use to boot?

This is way beyond me if you don't have a boot disk, I'm counting on oldf@rt who probably knows way more than I. Listen you, I'm 55: we are not old!!!

Linda, have you tried hitting F8 during the round-about? or delete? before it gets to the blue screen?

How are you getting this thing turned off? just with the off switch? (curious)

Try to hit keys offered to you while the machine is still in DOS mode is all I can think of. If it offers you safe mode with networking, then you can get online.

But if you can just get to safe, I'd get rid of that program asap. Wouldn't it be nice if the message was there long enough to read... that's happened to me before too.

If you happen to have windows defender or One Care, microsoft security team will talk to you for free.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

Have you tried to start in safe mode yet? start tapping F8 when you see the hp splash screen, once you get the menu, select safe mode with networking. let us know if the machine still restarts as you described before.

lechatboote, there may be no disks with that machine, normally on HPs the F10 key runs system recovery the message is posted in the lower right corner {PRESS F10 FOR SYSTEM RESTORE}

#9 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

:thumbsup:

Thus far I had been unable to stop the boot process I will try the key tapping what the hell I've tapped all the others lol.

I'm off today to work on a home project of grab bars in aging parents home so I won't have an opportunity to work on the problem till tomorrow.

i have restore disks but they won't load and I try sys recovery but it never did anything.

PS no we aren't old either! I'm fifty so we are in the club lol

Thanks

#10 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Oldf@rt, thanks for correcting me.

Linda, also try alt+cntl+delete? (does this apply to HP machines?) But as OF said, whatever options are on your screen during the boot.

Lots o luck - you are a great daughter, caring for your 'rents.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Do you have anything important on the machine, pictures, music, stuff like that that you have not backed up?

If you dont, start tapping the {F10} key when you first turn on the computer and see the big HP logo.

This should put you into the system restore program that HP has built onto the hard drive. Any machine made by HP from about 2000 on has this. There is normally an advanced option, and the regular. if you use the advance option your C drive will be formatted, and anything that you have not backed up will be lost.

Also, please tell us the full information on your machine, Model, Type, etc (Desktop or Laptop).

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

There is an option on the boot screen that you get to go into Safe Mode that will allow the system to STOP on errors (rather than rebooting) - try enabling that to see the error message.

If not, my technique is to watch it a couple of times to see where the STOP message info appears - then focus in on that to get the numbers that we'll need. Generally the message will start with STOP and will be followed by a whole bunch of numbers like this (0x0000007A) - what we'll need is the last 2 digits of the first set of numbers (the 7A in my example). Here's a link or two that describes more about this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

I would agree the proper use of high explosives is definitely warranted here!

Tapping F8 did slow things down but it won't allow safe mode or any other mode. It won't do a sys recovery either.

I do have the numbers I will post those in a little bit.

The computer makes suggestions for rather stupid things like disabling the antivirus If I could disable anything I wouldn't be having this problem lol

I can't get the computer to boot pure and simple.

I doesn't allow me to go into any mode of any kind and it will not run sys recovery.

i would reformat if I thought I could but I will lose a very important piece of software with which I manage the office.

YIKES YIKES AND YIKES

I HATE MICROSHAFT

#14 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

PS If I could get to the event viewer or the start or any other part of windows I wouldn't be asking for help here.

I CAN'T BOOT INTO WINDOWS!!!!!

I get the boot screen restart boot screen restart loop

When I stop that if gives me the stupid choices of starting in safe mode etc except that it won't start at all safe mode or otherwise.

The BSOD is barely viewable or legible and only appears very briefly so as to be impossible to read.

AGAIN IF I COULD GET INTO WINDOWS I wouldn't be having a problem but I can't get passed the boot screen.

HELP :thumbsup:

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

A BSOD is a hardware event that Windows generates when an error occurs that could damage the hardware of your system. While failing hardware can cause this, it's most often caused by faulty hardware device drivers or malware.

On the stupid choices of starting in safe mode etc screen there will be a message (as long as you have SP2) that will disable automatic restarting of the computer on errors. If you enable that, it will stop on the BSOD so you can read it.

Regardless, since you can't boot into Windows your choices are rather limited. I'd suggest a repair install of Windows to get you back up and running in the shortest amount of time: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users