Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ati2evxx.exe Process

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

I have an ATI video card, so it makes sense (I believe) that I'd have ati2evxx.exe running in Task Manager, right?

But for some reason I have TWO of them running in Task Manager. One of them says SYSTEM under "User Name" and the other says my computer logon name under "User Name".

1. Why are there two?

Also, I have two of them on my hard drive (though I *think* the two that are running are only the first, and the second is just a back-up or something, is that correct?). They are here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0004\DriverFiles\B_28559

2. Is that okay/normal?

I had read that:

If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

3. But ati2evxx.exe isn't a Microsoft .exe, right? So is it in the right spot? Or is something up here?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

By reading all of your posts, I have to ask what are you attempting to do? Are you just paranoid or is there a problem you are trying to figure out? I'm not being a smarta**. I've just noticed a theme in all of your post
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

Not trying to do anything, per se. A bit of paranoia mixed with the desire to learn about the things that I start wondering about... Might as well try to learn something along the way! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

Interesting-- just fired up the computer that I have XP and an ATI video card on-- I can only find one running copy of this file. I believe that is your ATI control panel. If you have fast user switching turned on, windows may need to run more than on copy. On this machine I have only one active user. BTW I would rather be paranoid, expecially when it comes to possible malware, that have to spend days eradicating stuff.

Edited by oldf@rt, 20 April 2007 - 04:17 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

Interesting-- just fired up the computer that I have XP and an ATI video card on-- I can only find one running copy of this file. I believe that is your ATI control panel. If you have fast user switching turned on, windows may need to run more than on copy. On this machine I have only one active user. BTW I would rather be paranoid, expecially when it comes to possible malware, that have to spend days eradicating stuff.

Hmmm... So why do you think I have two? I've seen someone else post somewhere (an old post) about also having two and wondering why... Anybody know?

Maybe the system one is for fast user switching. I see that that's turned on (it was by default).

Are there any downsides to using fast user switching...? I mean, why would there be the option to turn it off? What do you save by doing so or make more secure? Or is there no difference at all? It's only myself and my wife with the two logons. I've occasionally switched between us while stuff was running -- but it crashed the computer once, so I avoid it as much as possible. Would I be better off just turning it off?

Should I start a new topic to ask about this since it's a different topic?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Not trying to do anything, per se. A bit of paranoia mixed with the desire to learn about the things that I start wondering about... Might as well try to learn something along the way! :thumbsup:

You are to be commended. It always pays to learn new stuff. I seen a few references to spyware also, but this one caught my eye. It's legit but not necessary. At least that my take on it
Mark
rage3.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Great link, garmanma.

if you rarely use the fast user switching, I would turn it off, as it just slows down the machine.

You should be able to turn off the one running as (USERNAME), the only one that I have running is listed as system

Edited by oldf@rt, 20 April 2007 - 09:22 PM.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the posts! I took a look at that and then also found out some more stuff:

http://www.vernalex.com/tools/services/?in...HotKey%20Poller

The ATI HotKey Poller is installed with any current ATI driver set. It is used in intercepting any key combinations that you define to perform specific tasks that involve multiple monitors. Simply put this means that this service listens to your keystrokes and when you press keys that match hotkeys that you define (macros) then it will perform the assigned task to that hotkey. If you disable this service then you will not have this functionality. I suggest most people should disable this service unless they use multiple monitors or odd output devices such as TVs.

Most current video cards support dual monitor display, and a few others support more (like the Matrox Parahelia that supports tri monitor display). This allows you to expand your computer's desktop across multiple monitors to give you more real estate. People that use their computers in more advanced ways, such as graphics design or those that just use a lot of programs at once, find this ability quite useful.

The ATI display driver is equipped to support the functionality of multi display. And this is where the Hotkey Poller comes in. Within the display property (right click desktop, properties) and under settings and then under the advanced button, ten under the Displays tab you have the ability to select which monitors or TVs to output your display signals onto. You can also configure hotkeys that perform tasks such as switching between multiple monitors.

If you wish to disable this service you should set it to disabled and reboot your computer as it will not let you stop the service. If you cannot reboot (or you don't want to) then you can kill the executable ati2evxx.exe. You can freely terminate (kill) these through task manager as they are not protected services. There will most likely be two of these processes running under the same name, but they're both the same thing. One is most likely a driver intercepter and the other a frontend client of sorts. If there are two then you will need to kill both to properly close them.

So while I could care less about the hotkey stuff, I do actually use multi-display (I just use my old lcd monitor above my laptop when I need a little bit more desktop space). But I'm unsure from what this stuff is saying as to whether or not turning off this process will have an effect on having the ability to use multi-display or just the ability to use hotkeys to switch between multiple monitors (which I don't do).

It also gives a possible explanation of why there are two processes running. (I turned off fast-user switching, and I still have two processes running. Not sure how to turn off the one running as USERNAME unless I were to kill it in task manager manually every time (which I don't want to do).

Any thoughts?

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_4.html

ATI Hotkey Poller (ati2evxx.exe) - Also called the ATI External Event Utility, this service is primarily needed if you use the ATI Hotkey settings available in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. However, before disabling this service note the following: If you use a third party overclocking utility, you must disable this service otherwise the utility may not work; if you have an XT, X1000 or newer graphics card, disabling this service can also disable the OverDrive section in the Control Center, and can also prevent correct clock speeds being applied in 3D mode; if you run a laptop with an ATI graphics card, you may need to keep this service enabled to allow your LCD screen to switch off properly when the laptop is closed; if you use Fast User Switching then disabling this service may also cause problems with that. If none of the conditions above apply to you, I recommend that you disable this service.

I don't care about any of the 3D stuff as I don't do any computer gaming (and I'm going to turn off fast-user switching), but I am on a laptop, so the bit about the screen possibly not turning off properly if you disable this service causes some concern. Does this just mean if you close your laptop lid while the computer is still on, it may not turn off? Or that when you shutdown, the screen may not turn off? (I don't really ever leave the laptop on but close the screen, though I can see doing that if I were, say, at an airport and I had to hurry or something...) Thoughts?

Also, if I wanted to turn it off, would I go to msconfig, under the Services tab, just UNCHECK the ATI Hotkey Poller then reboot?

Could I always turn it back on, if I wanted to just test to see if it did effect the screen turning off when closing the lid, etc.?

Would I turn it back on the same way? Meaning, would it still be listed under the Services tab in msconfig, but just unchecked, and I could just check it again and reboot?

I also see that I have FIVE svchost.exe things running! Two for SYSTEM, two for NETWORK SERVICE, and one for LOCAL SERVICE. Why so many?

Let me know what you all think... Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 21 April 2007 - 10:23 AM.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

What version of windows do you have? just to make sure do you have a laptop or desktop?
I have six service hosts, two of which are network services, so dont worry there. This could affect your ability to change displays. I am running dual monitor right now, not a laptop.

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 April 2007 - 02:09 PM.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

I have Windows XP SP2 and it's on a laptop. I do the dual-monitor thing with my laptop as the main monitor and then my old lcd monitor above it on a shelf as the second monitor. But I don't use any hot keys or shortcuts or anything having to do with multiple monitors.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

Do you use the {Fn}{FXX} keyboard combo to change monitors?, if you do you do not need the second running copy. try not to use ms config to disable the second copy. use the advanced options in spybot S&D to remove the startup entry for the second.

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

Do you use the {Fn}{FXX} keyboard combo to change monitors?

I have no idea what this is, so I'd have to say no... I don't change monitors. I simply have my laptop set so that my old lcd monitor works as an "extended desktop". Most of the time I don't even turn on the second monitor -- but if I need it, then I just turn it on. I never "change" monitors. I'm not even sure what you mean by that...?

Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

On the laptop keyboard there is a third set of controls: usually accessed by holding the key that has {Fn} on it along with one of the Function keys. there is one that enables you to change your primary monitor from the laptop screen to the screen attached to the VGA output port.

If you have it set to run as an extended desktop, you still should not need the second running copy of the ATI hotkey utility.

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:56 PM

On the laptop keyboard there is a third set of controls: usually accessed by holding the key that has {Fn} on it along with one of the Function keys. there is one that enables you to change your primary monitor from the laptop screen to the screen attached to the VGA output port.

If you have it set to run as an extended desktop, you still should not need the second running copy of the ATI hotkey utility.

I don't really use those function keys. The only one I ever use is "prt sc" (print screen) to copy the image on my screen and paste to an image file in Photoshop, etc. I'm guessing that function wouldn't be killed by stopping that hotkey utility?

Please note that ati2evxx.exe is not in my startup list, so I can not disable it in msconfig/startup. ATI HotKey Poller is listed in misconfic/Services -- but it's only listed once, so it's either turn it off completely or not, I guess...? I don't see any way to turn off only one of the ati2evxx.exe processes running.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 21 April 2007 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users