Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ybenvious

ybenvious

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hello - can anyone tell me about the new windows OS - Vista? I currently have windows XP Home, and was wondering if I could upgrade or is a new installation far better? Please give me me some pros and cons, based on your use of the program.

Greatly appreciated!
[b]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

In my opinion, vista is a PIG 512 ram minimum to run, but it really needs lots more. 2 gig to run OK, 4 gig seems to be the sweet spot.

Personally I always wait until the first service pack for a MS operating system is released. Hopefully they fix most of the gremlins by then. (Service pack 2 is for bugs).
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

This link will tell you a bit about Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ons/choose.mspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Run the free Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to tell if your system can handle it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...89-3FFC194924F8

Heed the hardware specs - they're serious. FWIW - you can't "see" 4 gB of RAM on a 32 bit Vista installation (I have about 3.25 of my 4 gB visible). 1gB is OK, but 2 is better IMO.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

FWIW the copy of vista that I have is 64bit ultimate version, just have not re installed it yet. I am waiting for service pack one.

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

I am waiting for service pack one.

You'll be waiting an awful long time buddy. I hear Vista SP1 won't come out 'till 2010 or later.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

My XP 64 bit is nice and stable, I can wait!

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

Vista SP1 will ship in the second half of 2007, at the same time as Longhorn Server. From the rumors going around it sounds more like it will be a feature pack than a service pack.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:35 AM

Q1 08 is what I have heard. I cant seem to find about what is going to be in it ---yet

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:39 AM

A new version of the kernel, which is a first for a service pack, and a new version of Media Center.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

ybenvious -

if your system is stable, and you have no compelling reason to upgrade to Vista, then I'd recommend that you stay with XP.

If your system is aging somewhat, getting some more time out of it, and then moving to Vista when you replace it, makes very good sense in a lot of situations.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users