Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Pc To Network But Prevent Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hello

I have decided to store all my media on a separate PC, that will act like a file server.

This may be a very basic question, but i only want to add it to my ms workgroup , preventing it from connecting to the internet. Has it to do with ICS?

I use a Netgear DG834G Router For 2 Wireless Laptops, Xbox 360, and My Wired PC. I only want to access files from the new PC, but do not require an internet connection for the new file server PC.

P.S The new PC will be a self build, i have not decided out of XP Pro and Vista Premium of which to install on this, as its only purpose is to share files, any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks
Stu G
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Start with enabling IP filtering on your router and restricting that computers LAN IP address. This denies access to the WAN for that computer.
In the permissions you can restrict what computers have access to the server. A common misstake is to leave it open for everyone to access instead of restricting the users.
Run a software firewall and set the security high. Allow only the computers on your LAN through the firewall.
There are many more option but this is a start.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the good ideas, ill have a look at the router settings in detail, however i can not see "Ip filtering" choice in the router menu. I am aware XP has ip filtering function in the tcp/ip protocol properties, will altering this setting give the same result as using the router?.

Thanks again
Stu G
Stu G

#4 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Hi all

My router is a Netgear DG834G and I need help, in trying to block internet (WAN) access to a pc and only allow File sharing (LAN) as this pc will be the server, to 2 other pc's. I have some ideas in how to set this up, by the use of software firewalls and configuring the router to block WAN to that PC, but any tips or best method advice or guide in how to achieve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Stu G

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

I believe (but would have to check to be sure) that you can just specify a non-existent gateway and DNS server in order to do this (I did it at the wife's office a couple of years ago and haven't messed with it since - so the details are a bit fuzzy).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users