Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locking Down Your Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ok so I'll be going to an extreamly large lan party this year in a month or so, and there is always a risk of someone doing something to your computer at a lan party. I have been assured nothing major has ever happened but I'm pretty protective of my comp, I'm also an avid gamer so how can i make the best of both world of going to the lan and yet making sure nothing happens to my computer.

by this I mean
How can I lock my computer to only myself (obviously xp has password startup but still)?
Can I lock My files to make them unaccessable to people on the same network?
How can I lock my computer if I want to go away for maybe an hour or so, without logging off if possible.
General tips/tricks to making sure you have a healthy pc in the lan environment.

thanks
-Ussr1943-
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Few suggestions in no particular order of importance
1. Lock and chain for laptop
2. Hook it to a table
3. BIOS password.
4. Be a Non-admin user
5. XP passwords
6. Frequent screen saver with password required to unlock and relogin
7. Firewall with password and very tight security
8. Firewall to lock internet access when screen saver goes in
9. Set properties > Security on directories so nobody can read allow only yourself
10. No file sharing of any areas - so nobody on the network can read them
11. ZIP directories you want to protect
12. Encrypt directories
13. Off load personal data somewhere else so there won't be much to snoop
14. Don't ever walk off without logging off (it's illegal in regulated environments)
15. Don't walk away from it at all
16. Don't go to the lan meeting whatever it is :thumbsup:

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

all very good suggestions Tos, but number 16 won't work for me :thumbsup:

anyways could you explain how to do some of the above?
Thanks
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

1. Computer stores sell some sort of locks for laptops
2. If you get a long chain, hook it to something at the meeting, that won't move out the door with your laptop :thumbsup: or just carry it with you
3. I don't remember, I think F2 takes you to BIOS during booting, kinda risky to do
4,5. Control Panel and find users entry, set'm up there - one admin, one non-admin with a password
6. Right click desktop, navigate to screen saver under properties and set a timeout and require a password
7,8. See tutorials, each firewall is different
9,10. Right click directory, properties, sharing, read options - basically Make this folder private is what you want and do not share the folder on the network
11. Right click directory, select Winzip (or equivalent), zip it, attempt to unzip to make sure the checksum is ok, delete source directory contents
12. I don't recall, may not even be available on XP, might be just on W2k
13. To a backup disk (best), or to a network drive at work, or to friend's computer. Depends how much data you have - a 512meg flash drive goes for $10 these days. Much of it also depends on WHAT data you want to keep private.
Sorry, this is a bit cryptic, hopefully less than my first answer, but I've just ran out of time :flowers:

Edited by tos226, 19 April 2007 - 10:03 PM.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

Wal-mart (laugh if you will) is selling 1GB sandisk USB Drives at $25. Many other stores have similar prices. Back it up every time you walk away.
If your worried about your Hardware many LAN cases have lock hasps on the access panel if yours does invest in a lock.

Posted Image

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

We don't know what needs to be backed up.
Wal Mart price sounds great, wow, not laughing at all :thumbsup:
Flash is very SLOW. I recently copied 350meg, I think it took 20 minutes, or whatever it was, it's not practical for quick backups.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:09 AM

agreed, but if you do a baseline backup before you go and then save all of your modified data to the flash drive before you have to get up to use the facilities you can take the Data with you.

Wonder if they still make the keyboard locks like my Packard Bell 486 had on it. Those were always fun to lock and watch Mom try to use the PC

Posted Image

#8 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

Hi USSR, are you worried they will change settings? What if you just unplug some of the stuff from the back? Or, remove the monitor and hide it under your bed if you still have he box.

This post had some pretty funny suggestions in it...
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users