Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Of Schooling Is Used After High School

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

I hope this counts as general chat. Really it could go both ways. Its more of a personal question from me to some adults here hope you dont mind.

I am on my last year of school.

I have never really liked school. But yet I owe it a lot on teaching me how to read and right and such. Without it I wouldnt be able to do that well I doubt.

So I cant say its all useless even though in 3rd grade I may would have thought that.

But I am staring down my time left to finish. Being homeschooled I could go on till this october or later if I wanted to with this years school work. But I want to finish on time with the rest of the kids.

I have until the 25 of may to finish the majority of my schooling so I will know how good I do for a graduation thing. I have a lot left to do.

I look at my schooling. I think to myself how much of this am I ever going to use.

Is anyone ever going to ask me when president nixons birthday is? So why should I learn it?

Why should certain things be mandatory? I can see how language and math is a must but why history,science,health,chemistry,spanish 1 and 2,biology and subjects like that?

Some you could use but shouldnt you have a choice to take them when or if they are needed?

Is all these subjects their to keep the kids busy so they dont get in trouble?

I sometimes get mad at school and say I will never use this nor 90% of the other stuff I do. Just a waste of time. Then I HAVE to continue to do it wondering if I will use it but it doesnt matter because I have to.

So I just want a little input from those out their who are adults who maybe felt the same way. My parents couldnt tell me why I have to learn all I do but I just have to. Not a very good reason if you ask me.

Do you think school has to my fluff?
(in college they have a credit! called frisby and you can learn to throw it for a credit)

Again I hope this falls under general chat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

It depends on where you want to go in life Austin.

You are right about one thing..

Then I HAVE to continue to do it wondering if I will use it but it doesnt matter because I have to

I have a family member who graduated High School, went on to graduate from RIT. Finished Grad school.. and now is pulling down $58K annually, in his first real job out in the work force. He is 24 years old.

I can tell you as a Mom.. YES! I have used the things I learned in school to help my children with their work when they were younger. They have left me behind now.. and THAT is the direct result of the work they do in school. I am glad my kids know more than I do. It doesn't mean they are smarter than I. It just means they have been taught more. So yes.. school is important.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

I am 25 years old. I graduated from college in 2004. I can tell you from experience that the more you focus on learning today will only help you in future college endeavors, and life.

I taught High School for a while, and the one thing I tried to stress to my students is that High School isn't really about retaining massive amounts of info! You will end up learning much of the same stuff again in your first two years of college. The important lesson to learn in HS is how you learn best! The people who really excel in college are those that developed a strong work ethic (with relation to studies) and good time management skills.

Do you like music playing while you study? The TV on? Silence? Are you a library learner or an in-your-room learner? These are things you need to figure out before college. Do you learn best by writing something down? Just reading it? Reading it aloud? Recording it and playing it back to yourself?

Don't waste time wondering when the information you are learning will come into play. Focus on the challenge of retaining it all! :thumbsup: You will be surprised throughout your life at the amount of times once useless information becomes beneficial.

How about this... What is the one thing that robbins have that no other animal has? :flowers:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#4 wiseacre

wiseacre

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have used every piece of information that I've ever learned, through experience or schooling - and those that I haven't used I've forgotten. So... I dunno. I have a college degree and a masters degree. I think that learning to think well and jump through specific hoops is important - but it's also important to retain perspective on education and realize that it's just one way of thinking - a way that happens to be prized with success in our culture. But... street smarts, online smarts... rythym, fashion, spirit, love, other people - these things are just as important, and if you focus solely on education life becomes a bit monotonous.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

The important lesson to learn in HS is how you learn best! The people who really excel in college are those that developed a strong work ethic (with relation to studies) and good time management skills.

Do you like music playing while you study? The TV on? Silence? Are you a library learner or an in-your-room learner? These are things you need to figure out before college. Do you learn best by writing something down? Just reading it? Reading it aloud? Recording it and playing it back to yourself?

Don't waste time wondering when the information you are learning will come into play. Focus on the challenge of retaining it all! :thumbsup: You will be surprised throughout your life at the amount of times once useless information becomes beneficial.

Hey, I was gonna say something like that!

Really,

I was.

Gonna.

So now I'm just gonna agree.

Learnin' how to learn is a most important part of learnin'!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Maybe you did; vicariously through me! :thumbsup:

I concur with your agreement.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

Yes but who gets to determine whats to be learned and what not.

Why should anyone be forced to learn something they will never use.

But then you dont know. So should we learn way more or way less on that assumption of we dont know what we will use?

How much filler could be taken out and give the kids more times with family?

Did you know the amish only do like 8 years of school with the basics.
Of course they work on a farm and dont go far but they arent stupid.

As far as studying I dont like to. I uh well most of the time dont study. Dont jump on me just yet.

One of my friends says he never studies and he makes all A's.

Its up to the person. Me I dont make all A's. More like slit between c's and B's and sometimes A's(more rare).

With me they thought I had ADD or something.

But I dont think its that. I learn only what I want to. Its hard for me to focus on something I do not like at all as far as school work. Things I like I can read through and have like picture perfect memory of it.

I can watch a movie a couple of times and quote you the wording before it comes. I can do this with other things I learn to. But if I dont like stuff its awful hard for me to learn it.

Like my language. I made a D last year. My school doesnt like D's. They like nothing less than a C. They sent back HALF A YEARS WORTH of work so I could bring it up this year and they will merge it back on last years when I finish. It should be a B or a High C when its done.

And I despise learning something over and over and over all my life like language problems. Maybe I get bored bored bored with it and loose interrest I dont know.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

"Why should anyone be forced to learn something they will never use."

The problem, CGM is that when you are learning something, you don't at that time know whether it will ever be used or needed. You might disparage the art of writing now, but if at sometime you wish to become a novelist, it may come in handy to be able to fully express yourself in a way that is more or less understood and admired by others.

Education is about providing possibilities and enabling choices, not limitations, to your life. Education is about freedom and not slavery.

Cheers ,good friend.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

If there is one thing that is constant throughout life, it would have to be change. That being said, there will come a time when you will feel confident in choosing an educational path. Until that moment arrives, try to absorb all you can, from a general perspective, in order to facilitate an educated :flowers: decision in the future.

Maybe I get bored bored bored with it and loose interrest I dont know.

I have felt the same way, often. But we must all embrace challenge to better ourselves. To do what one must, not only what one wishes to do, is a difficult step in human development. :thumbsup: It's enough to drive a person nuts!

Regards,
Travis

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

To give a good example CGM I took Advanced Physics, Advanced Trigonometry, and Basic Computer Theory in High School and thought I would never use them. They were fillers b/c I couldnt take any more Auto Tech or Agriculture/Business classes.

I use them almost everyday now and I'm a mechanic.

Being a farm boy like you I would expect you to have an apperication for biology, chemistry, anatomy, and the like as you will use them on the farm for breeding, feeding, crop planting and the like. History is important because "Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it" or something like that.(and dont ask me who said it. I just took the advice and use it)

You scoff at a well rounded education but within a few years you will see how it has helped you. Im 23 and graduated a technical college in 03 and HS in 02

Posted Image

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:26 AM

One thing is certain: If you don't learn it you definitely won't use it. Many adults say they've never used this or they've never used that. Ask yourself: Is it because they haven't needed to, or because they couldn't?

Knowing Nixon's birthday isn't very important, but knowing why learning about Nixon is important. Even if the facts are important, getting the big picture often requires knowing the details. There is much truth to the old saying that those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Besides you need to know where you come from to know who you are.

The thing is, once you get far enough with physics, biology and chemsitry, and so on you will notice that they aren't really separate subjects but all part of one big whole. It is this understanding of the world which they teach you.

Besides, you are a citizen in a democracy. This is a privilege and a duty, and it requires a good education.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

You never know what you will use. My grand daughters school had a history class that taught Richard Nixon made a secret pact with N. Vietnam to end the war so he would be elected president. My sister in-law is from Vietnam and had a fit when I told her that. So we had to straighten the kid out. So remember what you can, you never know when it will be useful. If I could do it again, I'd do better in school and go to college. It seems if you have a college degree you get paid more, no matter how stupid you are.. No offense to anybody, but I've worked for some dumb people with college degrees.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#13 Novitiate

Novitiate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:41 AM

With an avatar like yours, you have to have a good sense of humour. So look at it as a sort of Black Hole Gravity Bending Paradox: you can't know what is enough to learn until you learn it because until you do you don't even know what you don't know. I suspect you're sitting on this forum because you're avoiding doing your school work. Been there, done that, only I did my Senior years by correspondence as I was living overseas at the time. The hardest thing I found was doing it on my own - no mates to compare notes with or share ideas or just have a joke. Maybe this is why it all seems hard. A question: what happens if you don't use correct computer code or protocol? Nothing much because the computer doesn't understand you. That's what happens when you try to work or communicate within a community when you don't know how to speak well or write correctly (the most basic code of all) or how to understand what's going on in any sort of context (the only reason history is necessary is not to avoid making past mistakes again because, obviously, that hasn't worked; history is only useful because it tells you how you and those around you came to be where you are and doing what you're doing today). Learning how to read, write, do maths or understand your society is about survival. Make you feel better? Nah, didn't think so, Marg. :thumbsup: PS Get in the habit of using Spellcheck - that way a lot of language slips into your system without you even knowing.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

I had b's in language and A's in spelling(about always) until last year. This year I hope to bring last years up and keep this years on a B.

They give me all the language essays. Those can tear you up as far as grades if you dont do them I found out or do them well. One of the main reasons I got a D.

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

I had b's in language and A's in spelling(about always) until last year.

Me to!

I got A's in speling and grammer!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users