Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Turned Off Computer And Won't Come Back On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Kabong

El_Kabong

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

Hello, while i was at work my wife said the keyboard brushed across the desk hitting those power buttons (power, sleep, wake) and it logged her out then shut down windows...but now the thing won't turn on at all!!! i've unplugged it and held the power button to discharge, hit all the buttons on the keyboard...it seems like if something died on it like the power supply it would've just cut off instead of logging out of windows and then shutting down, right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

the power supply may have failed. Does any part of the computer come on?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

no, nothing comes on at all...well the monitor and speakers will come on, just not the tower...i thought it may be the power supply, too, b/c nothing happens at all, but it seems odd that it logged off and shut down instead of just cutting off

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

Do you hear a post beep or any beeps at all coming from your machine? Is the fan on the power supply spinning?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

If you are comfortable with opening your case you can pull the 20 (or 24 pin plug on newer machines) from your mother board and use a jumper (paper clip works fine) to ground the green wire ( pin 16 ) to any of the black wires (pin 15 right next to it works) if the power supply turns on its either your MB or your power switch. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

there's no post beep, no fan movement, nothing...

i'm pretty comfortable w/ opening the case and will try your recommendation, thanks a lot!

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:19 AM

Also, check to see if you feel the little click when you use the power button, the little soft switch underneath sometimes comes loose.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users