Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange System Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nafyepmop

nafyepmop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hello,

Im running Windows XP home on a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop which was bought in Nov 2006, recently it has developed a problem, everytime i use the Alt+Tab to switch between active windows the system crahses and all that is possibe to do it use the keyboard to open the start menu & move the mouse around. My solution to this is to press the power button which hibernates the system, i then restart the system and press F8 on boot to delete the hibernatons file and start windows as if it had been shutdown.

A problem similar to this happens when i use the quick launch buttons on the top of the laptop which open quick play, dvd player, and the skip back, play/pause, skip forwards, stop, mute and volume buttons. This causes the same problems but upon a hibernation reboot the system will be unlocked.

Thanks for any help that any one can give in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Have you looked in the Event Viewer for an error message? It will be located in the Administrative Tools, in the Control Panel.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nafyepmop

nafyepmop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

I've had a look in the event viewer; under applications there are a lot of load pef and application errors.

The most recent one is this; The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. BaseIndex value from Performance registry is the first DWORD in Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in Data section.

Any ideas what this means?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

Microsoft has an article that addresses this issue.
How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values

I cannot stress how important it is you backup your registry and create a new restore point for the Sytem Restore. there is a registry backup program that will may the process fairly easy. It is ERUNT Registry Backup Utility
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users