Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Wipe My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

My daughter is selling her computer and would like to wipe the hard drive clean before doing so. Is there a DOS command or other formatting command she can use to clear it all out? Format C: *.* seems a little too drastic. :thumbsup:

Thank you
KMF

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 April 2007 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

Use Kill Disk. This is a freeware utility that will destroy the information on your hard drive. It overwrites the information making it difficult if not impossible to recover.
The utility can be ran from a floppy or CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

acklan:

Thanks for the info.....have downloaded the program and will give it to my daughter.

KMF

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:37 PM

Excellent. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

Just to make sure that this has been said, the disc that you will make from this download needs to be in the CD dive before you boot the system to wipe the drive. You also should go into the BIOS and make sure that the CD drive is the first item in the boot order.

Wiping this drive will overwrite all of the information on it, this means that she will be selling the computer without a operating system.

Edited by dc3, 19 April 2007 - 11:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users