Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Question!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

As a few of you know im supposed to install SuSe today...but the laptop got (to what it appears) fried...so i wanna use my good laptop but im scared itll kill the system. Is it possible to put SuSe AND Windows on the same hard drive but have like different sections? Please post ASAP!!!

Thanks Alot
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

I used this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=220452

To tripple boot my system, XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

Pretty sure the same principle should apply.

Hope it helps.

Bilko

PS

I hate Ubuntu, about half my hardware doesnt work using it. Try to get rid of it right now.
Posted Image

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

What you need to do though is have a seperate partition on the hard drive to install linux for a multiboot. I think you can try partition magic a couple times. Google it. Also you'll need a swap partition. Beware though installing linux voids the warranty.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Is it possible to put SuSe AND Windows on the same hard drive but have like different sections? Please post ASAP!!!

Thanks Alot
Nick

Yes it is possible. Xandros even sets it up by default. Unfortunately, there is a small 2% risk of data loss. Which can be recovered using a partition recovery tool, such as "TestDisk".

Many Linux distros include this option. I would be surprised if Suse did not allow you to do it, without Partition Magic.

That said, Partition Magic was the very best partitioning tool available. It probably still is. Gparted, and the Gparted live CD is a pretty good competitor.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users