Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Set Up, Now How To Organize?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hello.
My network is set up, eg file sharing and printer sharing.
I can also see all the computers in my home network. In my home network there are two desktops connected via cat5 and a laptop through wireless to the router/modem. There are 4 users that use the computers, each user uses each computer at different times. At the moment the two printers in the house are shared to all computers.

So basically I want each user to be able to access what they have shared on any computer in the network. What is the best way to do this (organize eg network places/folders or whatever)?

At the moment the network file sharing is set up, in terms of what is shared for each computer. I don't like that.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Erik the Expert

Erik the Expert

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

I found an easy way to do this if you have a computer that you keep on most of the time. I make ONE SHARE on that computer, normally on the desktop called "Shared folder" or something like that. Then give everyone a Shortcut on their desktop to that folder with a seperate icon. Right click shortcut --> Change icon to something like butterfly or tree or something obvious. Then everyone has access to that folder and can easily move files from computer to computer with just the one share.

Hope this helps!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

The easiest thing to do is to wait for Windows Home Server to be released later on this year - it'll simplify things immensely.

If you don't want to wait, you can try setting up a NAS device (Network Attached Storage). That'll put all of your shared files on the device, and they come with software specifically designed for ensuring that everyone has access.

If that costs too much, then you're left with determining what each system should share, and then setting up the shares as needed. The easiest way to do this is to make sure that all shared stuff is saved into the Shared Documents folder - where the other systems can access it. If not shared there, then you'll have to set things up using my suggestions in the post located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89548/allowing-home-network-traffic-sygate-pf/

Network sharing isn't all that difficult, but it's incredibly complex - so getting it setup is most of the pain, after that it's usually smooth sailing. Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

IF it were me, I would set each computer to a static ip. Say:

3 computers
---.---.---.101
---.---.---.102

Then I would create a batch file of net use commands to ensure that when the computer starts up, you could have a network drive that will appear in the "My Computer" listed as Shared folder on Karens.

To do this, set every computer to have its own address in the TCP/IP settings. Dont forget about the gateways and dns. Then open your "My Computer" and in the address bar, type \\(IP ADDY OF COMPUTER). IE: \\192.168.1.101, this will take you to that computers shared documents/printers. Look at the folder names and move them to one side of the screen. Then click Start>Run. Type cmd and hit ok. From here type the word "net use" (no quotes). This will let net use remember all new commands. Then all you need to do is type the following to share a folder as a network map.

net use g: \\192.168.1.101\Shared Documents

This is going to place a new "Network Drive". The g: being the "Drive Letter" you want. Could be Z for all you care. Anyjehews, making a batch file is easy, but im sure this solution will be best for you. Message me if you want more info. or need more assistance making a batch file.

Edited by gavinseabrook, 30 April 2007 - 07:09 PM.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hi thanks champs for the response.
Basically I'm not sure what method to use, but this is how I want the network to work.

If I have created a share folder on x computer, and It has some contents in it I want y computer to be able to view that folder + view/open the contents (even if x computer is turned off). On the y computer it doesn't matter if you you cant move things into this folder when x computer is turned off, long as you can view and open its contents.
What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to do this?

Thanks guys, I have one more question but I'll ask that once this question is dealt with. Cheers

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Well to keep files up on your network all the time, get a network harddrive. The cheapest way to do it would be using those net use commands, but you wont be able to access a computer that is off. All the net use commands will do, is load up each drive when you log in, so if you go into my computer, computer X will have a harddrive listed as (NETWORK MAPPED DRIVE). If you would like to give me your network layout (Addresses and names of shared files) I would be more than happy to create a batch file for you to use.

Gavin Seabrook

#7 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hello, thanks mate.
So basically I cannot do what I want without a network storage device?
Thanks for reading.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

You can, but you'll have to keep all of the computers running all of the time in order to ensure access to all of the files. For example, if you store all of your pictures on one computer, then you'll have to make sure that system is running when you want to access them.

A NAS device will always be on and available regardless of which PC is on or off. And, it'll be simpler to access the stuff on the NAS than it would be on all of the other systems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users