Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent - How To Remove The Chipset Fan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smoky

smoky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:01 AM

Help!!!!
One of the blades broke off my chipset fan,but it was working fine & silent until today,it's making terrible noise now and I need instructions fast on how to remove it,I have an ABIT KV7 motherboard,and the fan is ABIT Northbridge Chipset Fan (3 pin Connector).
Do I need to remove the motherboard or can it be replaced without mobo being removed?

P.S.Yes,I'm going to buy a new fan,but I'm still in the process of finding a good replacement since there is no abit original fans that I can buy,trust me,I have looked everywhere.

Edited by smoky, 19 April 2007 - 05:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

Chipset fans are usually connected with two plastic clips. You usually have to remove the motherboard to get them loose. When my motherboard fan died the second time I replaced it with a big heatsink, much quieter and it won't die on you.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi smoky. I know your profile says "from croatia" but if by chance you currently reside in the US, you can get the OE fan from the Abit parts store here.
As Mr. Alpha has stated, plan on removing the motherboard. If the board comes with a chipset fan you should typically replace it with another one. Many times the northbridge sits very close to the cpu and\or agp\pci slots and the fan is used to disperse the heat away, something a simple heatsink won't do. On the other hand, if you have very good case ventilation, a heatsink only will get you by.

#4 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

I removed the fan,we will see did the motherboard survived when I get my hands on a new fan.Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
As for the abit page,yeah,I've seen it,but I'm still in Croatia so...no fan for me :flowers: not yet,anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users