Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:13 AM

My win XP PC keeps popping up a message at the task bar about "Low Virtual Memory". This only stopped for a while when I expanded the virtual mem size?But then few days after, again it started to appear and I just kept ignornig it.Should I do the same thing each time it shows up.Will this affect my hard drive space and some other programs installed.Any help?Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

How much RAM does your computer have?

Is the hard drive almost full?

Have a look in the Task Manager to see what is eating up all your RAM.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:51 AM

This PC has 128 mb ram.
Right now available ram is just 18764 but sometimes when I do chat with web cam on , it goes down to as little as 6000 ram.Hard drive space is now a little more than half of the total space.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Your problem is that you only have 128MB of RAM. Although XP can run on as little as 64MB, you really need at least 512MB to run it effectively. With only 128MB of RAM you have to make sure that you do not run many applications at the same time, or you will always run into these problems.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Thanks

#6 trevorveasey

trevorveasey

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

I had the same problem, but I had 512 mb of RAM. I had to give it 1 GB. (Of course I do run some large programs).
Trevor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users